Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The "Airbender" (Vikrant Singh's Project - BIRD)

Hi guys,
Will start by posting some pics of what my loved bike was and is now after some strip down.
Last month -

Today -

Made time today between work & home, lifted my butt and got some basics in place :party-smiley:

First things first, realized the Dremel's too baby for all the framework ahead so got this home

Decided to take on the SEAT section first, single frame -
Got some numbers down

Bought this SS 304, 16mm for frame support

Closing in on the single seat frame's given me headaches & hours of gazing into space, finally managed to wind up with this as base, painted it silver, its not complementing the chassis color. I'll go with polishing this aluminium after whats left of it once I get the leather & hd foam on tomorrow -

Hope to size up the support frame tomorrow & get the seat on. Office this last month's been a bitch and I realized I'm way off pace. Counting on that changing & hope to post up soon.

Inputs & questions will always be a delight from u all :party-smiley:

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Tough bike to start with, sounds like you have a plan, I haven't seen too many do a multiple subframe setup.
I look forward to it, sounds cool.

Reactions: Vikrant Singh

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looks like a good start

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crazken, 75 Fighter, Dark... thx guys :)

Slow progress, was away all week but managed to sneak in some hours to build the plate for the seat frame -

I'm trying to go with an all bolt on/ adjustable frame, so with some holes in the frame pipes, some foam with leather, the single seat should be on it soon. Just need to find time... more time! :)

Cheers guys

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small update, just finished with the seat frame's rods, the holes were a pita to get right on SS 304, glad that's out of the way :) -
Hope to buff the ss, cut up some spacers & bolt the seat in tmrw :dance3:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
- Attached the front portion of the frame today to get a feel of the seat.
- Relocated the clips after puncturing some holes in them.
Basic stance of the bike sort of came through :)
Still wondering if I should add smaller spacers inside the front folks and drop them down to not have them popping out the top of the brace or just leave them looking like they are. Your inputs wud be great :)

Front bars of the frame

Not so sure about them jutting out from top...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I say put the forks level with the top tree and flip your clip one would look 100% better up front

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JDubb/ Fighter, thx guys.

Fighter, agree. I'll be dropping fork tube length within the fork. Those things sticking out also make me nervous as a rider :CK187:
Will need to reduce the pre-load spacer about 33mm & add the same length under the lower spring stop.
(Hope u weren't saying flip the clips back up from their current inverted position coz the BIRD's clips won't sit facing the top tree)

The seat'll be ready with foam & leather in black by tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made some progress & got done with the rider seat & frame. Managed to create an adjustable one with 4.5 inches horizontal adjust, 3 inches height adjust & angle adjust, didn't measue the angle but its a good lot :) In the pics, I've placed the seat half way between all adjustments -

Will finish this in aluminium buff, getting rid of the silver frame paint. Looking ahead at the independent passenger setup -

Thinking of taking a break from cutting pipes & holes & doing some exhaust work... will see.

Cheers guys :party-smiley:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Started the weekend with the exhaust system. Was not happy with the little sound a shorty can was controlling with the Yosh slim mid section pipe. Decided to go with a 3 inch trap all along from the collector to the end can. Bought some material for end can & mid section of the system, it started badly with lots of push & shove trying to get this out of the can's outer -

The sun came right out, it then began to fall in place, cut up some angles and I was very pleased with how it ended up -

Also got the clips done, was never happy with how i set them up initially, so after some sanding around managed to flip them right where they belong -

Gotta find a patient mig welder tmrw coz i don't have a welding machine at home and then create sturdy baffles with some kick ass wool filling, i thing i'll end up trapping enuf sound, can't wait to hear it after :rock:

Lemme know your thoughts guys, cheers. :)

·
0 Posts
I like the look but not sure i'd be happy with stainless just bolted up like that i'm thinking it may crack around the holes in time & with use

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Exhaust looks great, ditch the diaper on the gas tank, fuck the passenger, leave the solo seat, get sticky tires.
I'm not sure about the oil cooler, could be cool, hard to tell.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the look but not sure i'd be happy with stainless just bolted up like that i'm thinking it may crack around the holes in time & with use
Thx 4 cups... its SS 304, tougher than the ms used by factory on this bike. Even the stock frames are bolted up aside aluminium... bolts' outer dia is flush with the holes (8mm), there's no room for play in them, this ss can bend, i can't see it cracking mate.

Exhaust looks great, ditch the diaper on the gas tank, fuck the passenger, leave the solo seat, get sticky tires.
I'm not sure about the oil cooler, could be cool, hard to tell.
Thx bro, i like your thoughts, the diaper's there to keep the tank from scratching considering there's 3 to 6 months of work ahead. The oil cooler lines look shit, I'm moving it down below the rad.
Tyre/ chain etc. are last on the list, part of the service list actually :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After 3 months of failure in managing any time on the bike, was able to get moving this weekend and nearly complete the exhaust system. With the exception of the end plate on the end can & some ceramic wool, its all done. Built it all in SS 304, the cutting & shaping was a breeze. I don't know the v of welding, had to find a worthy welder. Your thoughts as always wud b grt!

Some hardware -

Sheet for the baffles (SS304) -

The outer pipe all welded up, the TIG welding was well worth it with no damage to the finishing & good welder skill -

Lots of elbow grease and some cutting compound cleared it proper, will get into the final detail once installed -

It'll trap sound right after the gases leave the collector in 3 parts, with 2 subtle angles -

For the end plate, I'm leaning towards a concave end with some literature around the exit hole -

Cheers all :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Managed to weld those hooks for the springs up today and checked the system for fitment on the bike, no complaints so far :)
With the end plate & some ceramic wool wrapped on, I shud be ready to move on to electricals in a bit.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm struggling to make time on the bike but managed to put things aside, therefore some update :)

The exhaust is complete in all aspects except the final fitment with clamps. Got it up on the bike with a shoe lace as temporary support and gave it a go, seems sweet.

Used high density Ceramic Wool to pack the system, there are three different baffles therefore packing styles were different.

How it turned out (pls ignore the heat marks on the ss around the spring supports, will be polished away)-

A wall mounting led light's body I used for creating the mouth of the end can -

Looked back at the seat again & realised I'm not happy, therefore took to the drawing board all over again & decided to go all the way.

This effort is towards crafting the the base pan only. To accomplish what I have in mind, the virtical displacement is significant, therefore needed a lot of crafting material.
Coldn't get my hands on automotive clay, so decided to go with styrofoam/ thermocol.
Stuck 4 pieces together of 2 inches thicknes each -

Dried up a sketh pen marking lines across the damn thing :shootme:

Have gone further than the last pic, haven't clicked the work yet but the curves are shaping up :)
Once done with this, will need to finish the surface in POP, create a negative & finally the pan should emerge in FRP. :stars::truestory:

1 - 20 of 560 Posts