221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Winter's comin... :(
4,869 Posts
Love that tank...

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Damn all you bastards just posting "good job" comments, I get so excited every time this thread pops up cuz I think its an update but NO. Ima start handing out F U's like candy on Halloween lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Someone was asking about my oil cooler adaptor. The oil cooler adaptor was something I made from a 2 inch thick piece of aluminum. The stock oil cover directs oil from the oil filter to the small port in the side of the cover. What I did was direct oil from the oil filter to a port out side the cover, then from another outside port to the side port.....the loop is completed by the oil cooler.

Hope this helps.....The two oil coolers are run in series. The oil is fed from the bottom to the top of one then from the bottom to the top of another. The exit of all oil coolers has to be the highest point of the cooler to keep air from being trapped in the cooler.....this is very important. The reason I ran two cooler was due to limited space and also it looks cool........

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
bandit 12 oil coolers feed and drain from the bottom , so does my gpz , and a fair few other bikes ? just a thought
Yes this is true. On factory or OEM coolers they have internal tubes that run to the top of the oil cooler even though the fitting is at the bottom....so many times I see guys running aftermarket coolers with the fittings on the bottom..... this renders the cooler totally useless. The oil flow is nowhere near enough to overcome the air pocket trapped in an inverted cooler. Hope this helps anybody with an oil cooling problem.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Yes this is true. On factory or OEM coolers they have internal tubes that run to the top of the oil cooler even though the fitting is at the bottom....so many times I see guys running aftermarket coolers with the fittings on the bottom..... this renders the cooler totally useless. The oil flow is nowhere near enough to overcome the air pocket trapped in an inverted cooler. Hope this helps anybody with an oil cooling problem.
So this OEM cooler on the SV model here:

Is completely different internally than this cooler that we ran on our 24/hr bike?

This is a bad photo because I shit canned the crappy hoses and fittings that came with it and ran Earl's hoses and fittings but it shows the orientation we raced with.

This was the bike as we raced it.

Our little XR ran about 10 degrees cooler on average (measured with a laser temp gauge) so I had assumed it was working fine. I had a discussion with my mechanic before we welded on the mount for the cooler and he said with the high pressure oil pump we installed on the bike the cooler's orientation wouldn't matter. I've seen them mounted sideways as well as inverted and standard so I went inverted to get the lines to clear the exhaust and get the shortest distance to the cooler.

Do you happen to have any photos of the inside an OEM cooler and the any random aftermarket cooler? I'd like to see the difference between them. Would be good for future builds for me too.

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Had to make a couple bends for the seat frame. I really like this tube bender...

Is that the hydraulic one or hand crank? How much did hat run you if you don't mind the question?

I was thinking of getting one for some time- but I had access to a really nice bender back then at the university instead LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Is that the hydraulic one or hand crank? How much did hat run you if you don't mind the question?

I was thinking of getting one for some time- but I had access to a really nice bender back then at the university instead LOL
It's an air over oil hydraulic bender....works great. The bender sells for about $1800.00 and the dies are about $250.00 to $400.00 depending on the size.....it's a serious machine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Blew the dust off the old bike after a five month break.....all work and no play sucks!!!! Got to the shop and finished fitting the exhaust and tacked it together.

221 - 240 of 274 Posts