Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
trogdor, the burninator
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'83 920 xv. i had to swoop this up, but dont plan to work on it for a while. still have 2 other builds in progress. i wanted something old and loud

it came in 3 boxes, the fork swap is incomplete and they butchered the ignition/upper triple (look at all that epoxy bwahaha)

·
trogdor, the burninator
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
can anybody give me the down and dirty on modern fuel and fiberglass (or carbon fiber) tanks?

mike gyver, knifemaker and holger really have inspired me but i cant seem to find a straight answer, scattered on every post on many forums are people saying it should/shouldn't or can/can't be done safely

·
trogdor, the burninator
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had a sec yesterday to assess the bike a bit. for the front end i have to press the old stem in the new triples, its just set there for now. otherwise looks like he already went through the carbs and powdercoated some stuff black, almost feels like cheating to start this far along :)

G

·
can anybody give me the down and dirty on modern fuel and fiberglass (or carbon fiber) tanks?

mike gyver, knifemaker and holger really have inspired me but i cant seem to find a straight answer, scattered on every post on many forums are people saying it should/shouldn't or can/can't be done safely
Fuel eats polyester resin eventually, modern fuel with high levels of ethanol eats it quicker & remember the resulting gunk gets drawn into your fuel system which is NOT good :oops:

Epoxy resin is better & there are fuel resistant resins available but they are not cheap :)

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
i was thinking once. what is you pour in some fuel resistant paint in tank, and shake it up. so the tank is painted from inside throughly?

good luck on build

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually saw this bike on craigslist. Was considering gettting it but couldnt get my bike sold in time. Good luck on the build, I'll be keeping following it.

G

·
i was thinking once. what is you pour in some fuel resistant paint in tank, and shake it up. so the tank is painted from inside throughly?

good luck on build
the problem with this is the same you would have with a proper tank sealer, if one small area fails the fuel gets in & starts to eat the resin then the paint/sealer peels away & your fuel is full of crap in double quick time :oops:

Trust me on this there is no reliable shortcut, if there were I would have found it, which is why I don't build glass fibre or carbon tanks even though I have the skill set :)

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
you're just a wuss :fu: man up and be brave :D pour in a liter or something and roll it around for 30minutes. and you will be good :D

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Fuel eats polyester resin eventually, modern fuel with high levels of ethanol eats it quicker & remember the resulting gunk gets drawn into your fuel system which is NOT good :oops:

Epoxy resin is better & there are fuel resistant resins available but they are not cheap :)
i wouldn't use poly on carbon anyway. It yellows without fail and is much more brittle.

·
trogdor, the burninator
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you're just a wuss :fu: man up and be brave :D pour in a liter or something and roll it around for 30minutes. and you will be good :D
lol. i dont even have a tank made to pour it in, piss off. :fu:

I actually saw this bike on craigslist. Was considering gettting it but couldnt get my bike sold in time. Good luck on the build, I'll be keeping following it.
i swooped it the day it was listed :) cash under the matress kind of shit. i check CL every morning at work for parts on my r1, 350z and future builds

the problem with this is the same you would have with a proper tank sealer, if one small area fails the fuel gets in & starts to eat the resin then the paint/sealer peels away & your fuel is full of crap in double quick time :oops:

Trust me on this there is no reliable shortcut, if there were I would have found it, which is why I don't build glass fibre or carbon tanks even though I have the skill set :)
thanks, noted. ive been thinking of finding a good shaped metal tank and building on top of that instead

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
I cant seem to find a straight answer, scattered on every post on many forums are people saying it should/shouldn't or can/can't be done safely
Sounds like pretty much any modification that isn't sold through a dealership direct from factory on any other forum that isn't CF. Do it, and we'll watch your glory or catastrophe and rep you either way. :D

Knifemaker is away on a long trip atm so might the out of reach but Mike should be able to give you advice on it, but he's still building the damn thing. :D

I've been thinking of finding a good shaped metal tank and building on top of that instead
I've seen some awesome looking versions of that. TBH, it's what i'd probably do....

G

·
i wouldn't use poly on carbon anyway. It yellows without fail and is much more brittle.
I mentioned polyester because its easily available & most people don't know the difference, how many times have you seen 'clear' gel used on carbon rather than translucent, makes me laugh every time :):oops::)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts