• Stealth's Suzuki Bandit 1200

Votes: 25 16.7%
  • lafoune's Gsx1100 1981 Cafédrag

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • sebwiers' the SECApocalypse

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • sugarkryptonite's '84 V65 Sabre

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • (Make that thing forkless) Julian's Victor Frankenstein's Monster - Dirtbag build

Votes: 15 10.0%
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,979 Posts
you all voting on aesthetics instead of the amount of work it took to get it where it as are assholes.

dude built his own frame. and front end. and swingarm. he should win.
Sure Julian's dirtbag build is pretty fuckin cool, but more than one of these bikes fits that bill. Seb has puty YEARS of effort into his bike with a Hossack front end... Yan did a beautiful job on that tube swingarm of his that he built in a shed the size of a common household refrigerator.
And how do you measure work anyway? We have hugely varied levels of tool access and skillsets... is it the guy spending hours programming and readjusting and setting up the machine to CNC rearsets working less than the guy spending hours cutting them out by hand with a grinder and a hand file?

So fuck off, people can and should vote on whatever metrics are important to them. The only thing not ok in my opinion is basing your vote off how much you like or dislike the guy who built it... outside of that, leave people be.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,353 Posts
The only thing not ok in my opinion is basing your vote off how much you like or dislike the guy who built it... outside of that, leave people be.
I don't vote for your bikes because you have a quote from Poopie in your sig and I really liked Poopie and your sig reminds me everytime I see it that he doesn't visit us anymore and that makes me sad. Henceforth I don't vote for you. :fu:

Yes that was a run on sentence, and yes I used henceforth.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,008 Posts
Seb's Hossack front end is only part of the equation regarding the effort put in to that bike. I mean, think about all the test rigs he built to prove that his designs were strong enough. Dude worked one cheek off to build something, then worked the remainder of his ass off to test it. You just don't see that.

That deserves a strong honorable mention at the very least. And part of why I struggled on my vote.

That reminds me of Grouch fucking hand sawing and filling ( sculpting, really) the rearset brackets on his Hornet out of aluminum plate. That was fucking cool. I miss that build.

·
Super Moderator
5,603 Posts
^ I did that too :D though even if I've never seen this grouch and his rearsets I'm betting they be prettier than mine.

Reactions: 370steve

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
So if this bike were entered it should win?
Would have to win bike of the month first. If it did, I'd hope there was something super awesome about it to make up for all the showbike wankery. In which case.. maybe?

Honestly, I can't puzzle out how (or if) the steering and suspension on that thing works. which is impressive in its own way.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,979 Posts
Agreed, CF contests are for us and us alone. I make a point during the last couple months of the Buildoff to not link to the forum anywhere else if I post pics somewhere or something like that, for this reason.
Consider this a vote to DQ his entry.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
that's no different than what happened last year...

its just a little ol internet forum award.. that really.. no one outside of here even knows about.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can imagine dude what fun you might be having if you could vote for your bike more than once.
Guys dont be mean to him - theres at least one real person who likes that bike :)

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As the FOTM / Y runner Mod, I'll just say I don't see any rules infringement (there ain't many anyway), and the way it's posted, (registered members, "my bike's in, any votes appreciated") while competitive, isn't a problem by me. Fairly mild in fact.

Carry on :D

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,353 Posts
that's no different than what happened last year...

Very different than last year. Richyboy had multiple usernames matching his IP address all signed up on the same day. Voting for yourself is a douche move and will only bring shame upon yourself. Asking registered inactive users to return to CF to vote is a grey area. I respect that he specified "registered" and didn't ask everyone reading to create a new account just to vote.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,008 Posts
I remember a few times in the past when we would go to another site to pile on votes for a fellow CF'er. One time Mallory was in a cookie contest, another time Seb was on a garage funding contest. On both of those occasions we piled on with multiple accounts and came through for CF. Probably more that I'm forgetting.

So....glass houses and all that. :oops:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I can understand Yan's point but Steve is not wrong in requesting registered voters.
That said, it's somewhat disappointing to see the voting discipline in question again Mike, restrict it to registered voters registered until December only. That should firm up it's integrity somewhat.
Virtual, fictional or whatever we may call this, a lot of people serious about bikes outside our community look at the annual build vote threads, all the work put into the 12 builds and every builder here will be better off without the dirt after each year. All the work collectively deserves better.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts