Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another pic of the new bars. Had some trouble getting the cables to fit around - had to pull them further down the forks. Probably will eventually get better looking break leavers or just paint mine black.

Upcoming:
Black gas tank - going to try the spray can method described in this video

Remove gauge cluster/relocate ingnition

chop the rear and customize with a rear cowl from an 82' hawk - somehow create a good looking seat

paint wheels black

remove turn signals

clean fuel system/tune carbs - will be my most challenging learning process, any tutorials for this exact bike would be most helpful :)

Attachments

·
the bearded hessian
237 Posts
hey dan, nice work buddy! i've never been a huge fan of the drag bars, but i actually really like them on there. and they've gotta be so much more comfortable, i was gonna tell you how awful it was having my wrist cocked at that weird angle for an hour and a half last week riding it home with those old bars haha. anyhow, it's lookin good, and hopefully i'll be over soon to help you out. i've got a few vids on youtube to show you about tuning carbs that i think will help with your problem there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Removed gauge cluster and relocated ignition/clutch. Also removed rear fender/grab bar and such. problems loading photos - will get some up soon.

·
the bearded hessian
237 Posts
hey dan, as far as uploading pics, try this: when you go to make a new post, look at the right hand side of the screen beneath all the smilies and emoticons and such. you'll see it says my photos. under that, just click quick upload, then browse for the pic you want. when you find it, hit "host it." doing it this way hosts the image on custom fighters and allows it to come larger as part of your post, not just a thumbnail all the way at the bottom. hope that works for ya!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Minus the gauge cluster, relocated choke/ignition:

thanks jeff for the tip. i figured out that my pictures were saved with a HUGE file size (4000x3000 3.5mb) haha, that wont upload nicely. resized them in micro pic. manager and now its good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone know what I should do about the hole that is now where the RMP cable connected to the engine? There seems to be some oil there (not squirting out or anything) but I'm not sure its good to have a hole there. Highlighted in orange circle below.

·
Has Chode 4 Duc's
98 Posts
That is the RPM cable drive.. Some models of the CM400 came without Tach gauges, and they had a plug from the factory. Robb the plug, or the whole side case.. or have someone make you something on a lathe..

These bikes can be made into pretty cool, light weight little boogers.. I'll be watching =)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So no thread for the plug, but I've managed to find them online (e-bay). Next up as far as asthetics:

The seat (will be custom carving out of original seat) and rear cowl from the 81' model
Brackets for headlight
New grips
Vertiacal license plate mount
Gas tank (black with big 78 in white)
Cone filters (which will add another dimension to the carb/fuel issue i'm dealing with currently)

Over the winter: hope to find some black drag pipes that fit this model and paint the wheels black. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bike is running well after some serious carb cleaning and tuning. Heading to make some headlight ears tonight so I can bring the lamp down on the forks. Today was probably the last really nice day for riding - glad I got out!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here was today's project - carving a new seat out of the stock one. Was a bitch to get the leather off, held in with these little rivets which had to be pried out. Cut the seat and pan in 1/2 basically and started shaping from there. Its pretty rough, and I might have taken too much off, but I kept the scrap foam so I can modify if I need to. Half to wait for my cone filters to get here so I can take off the air box and see how the seat pan will lay down on the frame.

·
the bearded hessian
237 Posts
dang man, doing work!! i shoulda called you, i was home by 3:30 and was itchin to do some bike work, haha. oh well, looking good! let me know if you need help re-wrapping the seat, i've done it quite a few times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Once you pop, the fun don't stop!"

My least favorite job so far - removing the exhaust pipes, and crazy huge H-Pipe. So glad its over.

Removal complete, one of exhaust pipes is basically sealed in the H-pipe. There were some pretty nasty dents all around, so I'm sure whoever took them apart last had a hell of a time also.

How to make a ling-ling grenade: absent mindedly place a 1/2 full ling-ling on a ledge on the inside of the garage door. Then, later when you've totally lost track of your beer push the garage door opener button and BOOM! Ling-ling shrapnel for all!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts