Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Not water cooled at all. Just a nitro burning Harley drag bike engine.

Having grown up around alot of the high performance stuff in my life (alot of friends who knew people) I've actually seen a few of those over the years. :D

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Looks to be an unfinished engine. Pre ported from the company and I'm sure it is yet to be machined to include the fins among a few other things. Just looking at the price of the engine explains how much has gone into it.

As for heat, yeah, they don't run for long at all. Here is a good video of the perspective of running a top fuel Harley.

Insane fast and hard to stop too. :D

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
I dunno. still looks different from even a nitro motor. its obviously not finish machined but why etch your name into it if your going to carve fins threw it? and also, what are the big ass ports on the side? never have I seen exhaust or intake ports in that location on any Harley engine, nitro or not.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
that looks more like it. still never seen one of those, just called a pro stock motor? still a Harley v twin? looks to have evo motor mounts.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
that looks more like it. still never seen one of those, just called a pro stock motor? still a Harley v twin? looks to have evo motor mounts.

Prostock got some "Harley favoring" rule changes and since then it's pretty much based on Harley V twins, quite a few arrangements I've seen over the years include but are not limited to the side port setups and the more conventional ones like the pics of the top fuel engines. I'm not that well versed in drag racing to know that great of detail about them, but I know for a fact it is not water cooled and it's either a prostock or a top fuel engine of some arrangement.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Yep they don't run those engines but for ~30 seconds at a time.

A couple years back, test&tune night at the local drag strip.....lined up(me on an FZ6 :( ) against a 'busa similar to that. dropped, stretched, car slick on the back Made an ungodly noise. They started it on the line, similar to that video.

It left like a rocket, When I finally caught up to him in the overrun, he had already cut the engine, then proceeded to push it to the pits.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
One of these days I'll get around to scanning some of my late fathers photo albums from the strip. He had some pics of the bikes that started that madness and effected rule changes due to an unfair advantage over the V twins. :D

Still quite a few big names from back in the 80's and 90's around locally. Most of them the turbo guys I talk with from time to time. Been told I need to meet more of them but they are 30+ years into this industry and don't have much to say on the matters I want to discuss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts