Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JYES! I'm glad you guys have this section. I was procrastinating that I'd have to research thru all the build threads. which is no biggie because its all pretty cool but my setup right now isn't so permitting.( i have no desk).

I'm looking at my bike, with all the fairings off. and I don't even want to put them back on for a second. I almost don't want to put the headlamp back on but i'm curious as to see what it would look like without the headpiece. so yeah, the obvious question about the wiring came into play.

weatherproofing?

My bike is 02 gixxer6
i can post pictures if that helps

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,693 Posts
Most electrical on a bike is already relatively weatherproof. The biggest things you'd have to worry about is the plugs/terminals. Use dieelectric grease in all the connectors and you'll be fine.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
I use liquid tape and then electical tape for strength on any splices. I've also used spray on sealant on past 4x4's to protect the wiring.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Most electrical on a bike is already relatively weatherproof. The biggest things you'd have to worry about is the plugs/terminals. Use dieelectric grease in all the connectors and you'll be fine.
This. You're worried about nothing. I rode my fighter to work last week through downpours without issues. I've ridden that thing through rain so heavy I could barely see out of my helmet. It's been left in the rain many times too.

If you're worried about splicing in new wires and whatnot, use shrink wrap. Electrical tape is a cheap, amateur fix. If you have a Harbor Frieght nearby they have all sizes and lengths of shrink wrap. Grab a heat gun while you're at it, too. Don't bother with the rest of the harness you don't modify. Like already said, it's basically waterproof as is. It's pretty well protected since most of the stuff is covered by the tank, seat, and tail section, plus a lot of the plugs have rubber o-rings to keep water out too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts