Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I need a hardtail made to weld on to my bike.

If i give the dimensions etc is there anyone here that could fabricate one up for me?

im from the uk so i guess a uk member would be best due too shipping costs.

something along the lines of this..

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Woo buddy. That's a tall order right there. Someone would have to have the same bike. Or at least every measurement of the frame from said bike. Then a good jig of sorts to make sure the axle plate spacing is correct. As well as level. Unfortunately there's still a lot of unknowns in the construction if the hard tail itself. What size tubing compared to your size to make sure it's good enough. Welding should be as close to perfect as possible. High stress piece needs to be perfect.

Finding someone here to do that for ya will come at a high price. Buuuuuttttttthttp://www.tcbroschoppers.com/weld-on-hardtails.html
This place should be a good start for ya!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woo buddy. That's a tall order right there. Someone would have to have the same bike. Or at least every measurement of the frame from said bike. Then a good jig of sorts to make sure the axle plate spacing is correct. As well as level. Unfortunately there's still a lot of unknowns in the construction if the hard tail itself. What size tubing compared to your size to make sure it's good enough. Welding should be as close to perfect as possible. High stress piece needs to be perfect.

Finding someone here to do that for ya will come at a high price. Buuuuuttttttthttp://www.tcbroschoppers.com/weld-on-hardtails.html
This place should be a good start for ya!
I was thinking today that the guy making it would probs need the bike there or the exact frame...i can weld but im not sure i can trust the welds to hold up, im no pro.

What bike?

Might wanna check out Cycle One Manufacturing. Red and Kate are really nice.people to work with.

Personally, I think the Cycle One kits look much cleaner than the TC Bros. JMO

But yeah, what bike ya got?

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

its a cheapy AJS NAC12, basically built in china, shipped in a box to the uk and the dealership puts them together ( badly in most cases )

i had a look on tcbroschoppers.com and found a universal, self build kit, so what i may do is buy that, tack it all into place and take it to a fabricator to weld up.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/weld-on-hardtails/universal-hardtail-kit.html

i found this, same bike but someone has bobbed it...kinda like it.....what are your thoughts?

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
so you want to put a steel hardtail on an aluminum frame? Or am i just seeing things?

you will probably have to have a full frame made or fit your engine into a frame

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
i couldnt really tell with the black and white picture. If its steel tube its pretty simple as long as you keep things straight

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
i found this, same bike but someone has bobbed it...kinda like it.....what are your thoughts?
Kill it with fire.

(This is, of course, just my personal opinion.)

If you do decide to go down the hardtail kit road, try to find someone local who can bend 1" or 1 1/4" .125" wall tube, get some axle plates, and then you can get whatever angles you need. Once you see enough bikes with the TC bends on them, they all look kind of the same.

Also, if you do that, even though it's tempting to build the thing on the bike, don't do it. Measure. Mock up. Cut. Test fit. Mark. Then take it all apart and tack it up somewhere that you can jig, chock, shim and/or level it to be sure it's all even. I can't count how many homemade hardtails I've seen where the bends on the seat stays aren't coplanar because the dude built the thing on the bike. It doesn't really matter, so long as the wheel is straight, but it definitely looks like crap. Lower tubes are less of a big deal, because you often have to monkey around with one side for chain clearance, and you can't really see both at the same time.

Oh, and make sure you mock it up with the chain on. First time I tried my hand at one, I forgot that, and the chain needed to run square through the middle of the tube.

Do it.

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was thinking today that the guy making it would probs need the bike there or the exact frame...i can weld but im not sure i can trust the welds to hold up, im no pro.

its a cheapy AJS NAC12, basically built in china, shipped in a box to the uk and the dealership puts them together ( badly in most cases )

i had a look on tcbroschoppers.com and found a universal, self build kit, so what i may do is buy that, tack it all into place and take it to a fabricator to weld up.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/weld-on-hardtails/universal-hardtail-kit.html

That AJS is/was mine..I have it in bits now and if you want to buy the frame off me you can and then you can have a go at doing your hardtail.
Im from Coventry/Uk so its up to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.