1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
100 amps should be fine up to about 1/8" steel so should be fine for brackets and stuff. I do not know the brand so personally I would hold out and keep checking craigslist for a used Lincoln weldpack or somthn.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think i will be welding any thing thicker than that like i say just brackets and maybe some small bit on the frame. sealey is just a budget brand hear in the uk thats why the cheap price.
the thing that draws me to it is the i can buy it and start welding straight away its with in my price range it comes with a mask i can get it posted to me and it has three years waranty..
the things that put me off are the fact its not very powerfull and it is gas less only.

do you think it will weld a subframe?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
It's a "no gas" welder, which means extra work cleaning to get rid of slag, and trickier working in odd positions. I've never used flux cored, so I can't say how how it compares, but after using a good MIG wilder, I wouldn't want to go back to stick welding for most stuff.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats the thing im trying to use a stick welder at he moment but its old and i cant weld with it very well i have welded with a mig befor i it was easy so my thought was to get a gasless mig as it would be like welding with a gas mig.
i understand that there will be more cleaning of the slag but the control with the handle and the wire feed will make it easyer
i cant realy aford to buy a gas welder and keep buying the bottles of gas to use it as i will only be doing small stuff to finish my build and maybe a few bits in the future..
thanks for all your input guys it realy helps!!!!!!!

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
using fluxcore is nothing like using mig. Sure you pull trigger and it shoots sparks but its a whole different animal. If you have the money to throw away go ahead and try it. The cheap chinese welders usually are more trouble than they are worth and when the parts break (they will) you cant fix them. Fluxcore is a very violent arc and penetrates very quickly, you can do thin stuff but it takes a hell of alot of time and patience. Look in the local paper, look on the internet and get the best thing you can afford. You might be able to get a solid wire mig with a bottle local and not pay much.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
I have a cheap harbor freight 220v flux mig, works perfect for what I do, minor brackets, tacking things into place to make the journey to a pro if i need to. I put 2 new fenders on my trailer the other day and it was perfect for that, clean metal and practice and almost no slag.

Reactions: Davey t

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Did this...
Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust system Bumper Muffler

With this little junker...
Product Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Battery charger

Yeah it's messy but works just fine, those tiger disc things make short work of the clean up

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
whip, that is actually really impressive. You did a nice job with the coping for the y.

·
WannaBe
103 Posts
Try it out, but Fluxcore is definitely a different beast. I would not trust my life (or anyone else's) without TONS of practice. I see a lot of guys here with some ###### welding skills riding around, but myself, I personally bought a Hobart 210 MVP, practiced a metric-shit-ton with just flux core (just now gas), and am now just getting around to starting on my bike.

Practice, practice, and practice some more. Join some forums, or better yet, get someone qualified to teach you and inspect your welds (if you're doing your subframe).

My personal opinion is save up and buy a decent welder with the option for Gas down the road. Trust me, you'll wish you had once you get the bug. Don't buy a bottle unless you have no option to lease it. I pay $40/yr lease and $35 per exchange on a 80cu ft cylinder. 80cu ft will go a loooooooooooong way in welding.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
whip, that is actually really impressive. You did a nice job with the coping for the y.
Lol!....I have to be honest, I didn't weld the Y pipe, I bought that on eBay it's made by Jones, sorry to disappoint....

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
lol at least you are honest. The cans dont look too bad either. Looks like you only tacked the tubing to the end plates but the end plate to the y looks really good for what it is. With what you are doing and what you have you might want to try using a root gap for the end caps instead of a butt joint. It will be a pain to set up unless you make a fixture but it will be worth saving the frustration of burning through edges.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
ive got a shitty HF welder, the 90amp AC flux jobby, and im pretty sure all it does it throw tiny metal balls that glue to the metal. the HF wire is shit, and ill be buying a stick welder very soon. then, i can mod my HF wire welder to DC and add decent cables then MAYBE, just MAYBE, it will be decent.

·
Old fart biker
16 Posts
I'd check you local classifeds for a good welder. I found a Millermatic 250 on Craigslist for 600. Thing will weld just about anything if possible always save for the best tool you can get it will save you buy over again when you get better then the machine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all of your in put guys it has helped me make my decision.
so i will save my money and wait till i find a second hand branded gas mig welder like everyone has said get the most for my money and it will last longer and wont limit me to gasless only so when i get beter i wont need to buy another welder...
again thanks for all the input it realy cleard things up for me......

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
thanks for all of your in put guys it has helped me make my decision.
so i will save my money and wait till i find a second hand branded gas mig welder like everyone has said get the most for my money and it will last longer and wont limit me to gasless only so when i get beter i wont need to buy another welder...
again thanks for all the input it realy cleard things up for me......
you dont HAVE to buy a brand name machine. There are lots of gasless welders that you can get gas kits for.... then you can have some real fun and do dual sheild. Do your research before you spend your money and you might get an off brand that is worth something. Just look for reviews and see if anybody has taken one apart, then look for replacement parts and see if they are available.

edit: i know i said chinese crap is nothing but junk but what i should have said is that MOST of it is junk. You might be able to find an inexpensive machine that does what you want and can be repaired or upgraded if you look around.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like others have said flux is an animal if your going to get it practice and when your done practicing practice some more. Personally if I was you I would wait to find a decent gas setup for cheap but I'm kind of biased since all I do anymore is tig

1 - 19 of 19 Posts