Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Fighter 4 Christ
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or I want gas i should say.

I have a snap on FM 140. Yes i know, some say yay many say WTF? So it migs really nice, love it for that. I have the TIG attachment kit and I'm so newb to it. So I was told that I could use 100% argon with the DC tig scratch start on steel. I couldn't get it to hold an arc. Tried the gas up really high and really low. Cleaned up the metals nice but no go. Then someone told me that i need helium.....ok.

I have a 141cuft tank that i just sourced a supplier to get whatever i want. I want to have a single tank for both MIG and DC TIG. Neither modality can do aluminum (mig gun too expensive for me). So just steel for me at this time.

Spent some time with a welder and he said go for a trimix Stargon or Argon/Helium/CO2. The supplier agreed on my wishes n wants for this gas. I looked it up online, what percentage of mix should I ask for??

Generally, the steel I'll weld is Home Depot and a local metals supplier. Some frame work on a new project bike (xs650). And other decorative items for the wifey.

Is the trimix the way to go? I have one set of guages and it's just easier to have one tank. The supplier said he'd take my tank and give me a filled tank for the price of gas alone. He would give me a 122cf for 40ish, or a 244cf for 60ish. If need be I could ask for two separate 122cf tanks for MIG and TIG alone, but then I'd have to source another set of guages?

Very new to TIG, if anyone has tips on using DC scratch start TIG please shoot it my way. I couldn't find any info on this machine either....other than a manual.

V

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
what kind of tungsten are you using? Is the arc erratic? With tig you kind of have to change your setup for different applications (matching your tungsten, gas and material). What kind of torch are you using? What size cup? What kind of cup?

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
there is a picture floating around that would probably solve your problems.... but for right now this is the best that i can do

http://stickweld.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/grindtungsten.jpg

also, dont use the same grinding wheel you use for everything else to sharpen your tungsten.... it will contaminate it. Tig is a very sanitary dependant process.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Or I want gas i should say.

I have a snap on FM 140. Yes i know, some say yay many say WTF? So it migs really nice, love it for that. I have the TIG attachment kit and I'm so newb to it. So I was told that I could use 100% argon with the DC tig scratch start on steel. I couldn't get it to hold an arc. Tried the gas up really high and really low. Cleaned up the metals nice but no go. Then someone told me that i need helium.....ok.

I have a 141cuft tank that i just sourced a supplier to get whatever i want. I want to have a single tank for both MIG and DC TIG. Neither modality can do aluminum (mig gun too expensive for me). So just steel for me at this time.

Spent some time with a welder and he said go for a trimix Stargon or Argon/Helium/CO2. The supplier agreed on my wishes n wants for this gas. I looked it up online, what percentage of mix should I ask for??

Generally, the steel I'll weld is Home Depot and a local metals supplier. Some frame work on a new project bike (xs650). And other decorative items for the wifey.

Is the trimix the way to go? I have one set of guages and it's just easier to have one tank. The supplier said he'd take my tank and give me a filled tank for the price of gas alone. He would give me a 122cf for 40ish, or a 244cf for 60ish. If need be I could ask for two separate 122cf tanks for MIG and TIG alone, but then I'd have to source another set of guages?

Very new to TIG, if anyone has tips on using DC scratch start TIG please shoot it my way. I couldn't find any info on this machine either....other than a manual.

V
Dont listen to the people who say you need helium, def not the case unless you are DC welding aluminum (Yes you can if need be) or mig welding stainless. 100% argon is all you need. It sounds like Dan is leading you down the right path, sounds like contaminated tungsten or wrong tungsten selection/bad grind. I am not sure about the arc/gas characteristics of that particular welder but a gas lens is always a good thing to have if your not using one. It really straightens out the flow and gives a much more stable arc.

on a side note, its hard to use just one bottle for both, you really need 2 bottles, 100% argon for tig and a 75/25 mix for mig.

second side note, left hand is with a gas lens, right is without a gas lens.

·
Fighter 4 Christ
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yikes, i was grinding sideways on a contaminated wheel. It's 2% thoriated tungsten as well as in the video. The picture you posted didn't work out? The torch is a snap on piece with the gas switch on the knurled handle. I'm using the short end cap with a pink ceramic cup #7. Yes the arc was erradic then cut off. Could the grind direction be at fault...ultimately me at fault!

·
Fighter 4 Christ
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont listen to the people who say you need helium, def not the case unless you are DC welding aluminum (Yes you can if need be) or mig welding stainless. 100% argon is all you need. It sounds like Dan is leading you down the right path, sounds like contaminated tungsten or wrong tungsten selection/bad grind. I am not sure about the arc/gas characteristics of that particular welder but a gas lens is always a good thing to have if your not using one. It really straightens out the flow and gives a much more stable arc.

on a side note, its hard to use just one bottle for both, you really need 2 bottles, 100% argon for tig and a 75/25 mix for mig.
75/25 argon/co2 for mig? i've been using 100% and looks ok. is it not going to penetrate as well with 100%argon/mig?

i would LOVE to do aluminum...do tell?

i'm going out to the shed. now im curious......

·
4,400 Posts
The argon co2 mix is for mug welding stainless. Is your polarity correct? Burning up the tungsten?

Reactions: vernk

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
75/25 argon/co2 for mig? i've been using 100% and looks ok. is it not going to penetrate as well with 100%argon/mig?

i would LOVE to do aluminum...do tell?

i'm going out to the shed. now im curious......
the 25% co2 helps penetration and helps for a smoother bead. As far as dc tig aluminum, just google it, lots of videos out there.

Reactions: vernk

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
yep, you were grinding your tungsten wrong.... its what i suspected and it was a picture that showed the right and wrong way to grind the tungsten. When you grind around the tungsten it makes ridges and doesnt focus the arc to the tip of the electrode which gives you an uncontrollable arc

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
also, look up a channel on youtube called welding tips and tricks

that guy is very good and very smart.

·
Fighter 4 Christ
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got a stable arc. love this thing even more! ya know in reading the manual just now it even says to use 100% argon. dammit!! Thanks all! now onto my next question...how do you identify what type of metal you are using? home depot or what's on the bike, or scrap metal found behind a dumpster under a dead possum?

·
Fighter 4 Christ
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just the tip....should it be pointier? like a pencil. In the vid he mentioned to flatten just a little at the tip. but overall more pointy?

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
alot of it is preference. When i was taught i was told to blunt the tip and thats what i do and it works for me.... i like my grind to be longer than that....you will probably have a really big arc what wont be as focused so you will get less penetration and pin point heat.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
do this and you will look like a born natural to all your buddies

its nice/fun to do but dont rely on it, learn to walk the cup and free hand

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
also, to identify metals is called metallurgy.... it can be very confusing at times but if you have a good teacher and like to read its a cake walk. The easiest way is to do a spark test and a scratch test. Some you can even identify just by looking at.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts