Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GSSEX
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So guys, I havn't really touched my "Katfighter" in a long time....So i did a bit of trading ended up with a beautiful guitar and new pedal and some boot. I may have cried a bit. So a friend of mine texted me knowing how upset i was and sent me some pictures...i think i found my new baby.
It's a 81 KZ1000 ltd.
i got to test drive it yesterday...and it's a beast. i honestly don't think i've ever been on a bike with this much ass to it.
so here's the kicker the guy "my friend" wants $800 for it
carbs just got cleaned tank was went through, and a new paint job, but 2nd gear slips and carb number 3 leaks if fuel is left on while sitting.
So what do you guys think? I've not heard much about the Kz1000 except that they are beasts, anyone have any experience with them?

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
if you dont buy that bike you better never come around here again.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
lol just make a crappy exhaust and dont change the jetting on the carbs haha.

·
Frankenbike builder
443 Posts
So guys, I havn't really touched my "Katfighter" in a long time....So i did a bit of trading ended up with a beautiful guitar and new pedal and some boot. I may have cried a bit. So a friend of mine texted me knowing how upset i was and sent me some pictures...i think i found my new baby.
It's a 81 KZ1000 ltd.
i got to test drive it yesterday...and it's a beast. i honestly don't think i've ever been on a bike with this much ass to it.
so here's the kicker the guy "my friend" wants $800 for it
carbs just got cleaned tank was went through, and a new paint job, but 2nd gear slips and carb number 3 leaks if fuel is left on while sitting.
So what do you guys think? I've not heard much about the Kz1000 except that they are beasts, anyone have any experience with them?

I have had one since 1982. yeah, 1982. My first bike that was not a "flip" bike ( I had H-Ds before that, that were nothing but a way to make money for me at the time). I have 5 of them now, 2 in running condition.

They are great. what can you say? It is a J model. Rated at 102hp IIRC. Shares parts with ALL cop bikes.

My 1200 is based on a Z1 900 cases, crank, MK II crank pin, J heads.

The chain adjuster on the timing chain is one of the best. Bikes are known to go 100k miles, easily, with normal maintenance.

Tons of available parts. Easy to work on. Pain in the ass to tune, once you do, it is awesome.

That being said- I hate the seat and stuff he did with it. the bike is a steal at that price. Buy it, do something else with it. It is awesome indeed.

http://www.bikeexif.com/kawasaki-z1-custom

The one I posted is actually a 74 Z1, but they look very similar. Motors share parts with some mods.

One of the greatest bikes ever made.

Edited to add: KZs were the bikes in "Mad Max". Kawasaki gave them to George Miller to make the movie, He dispersed them to local gangs, and paid them more money if they really drove crazy.

And the most recognizable street fighter in the world is Nosferatu- a J model based bike as well- though a 750 Turbo- the bikes share platforms as well.

Attachments

·
GSSEX
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'll be picking up the bike tomorrow hopefully, cash in hand, super excited, crusingram i'm adding you, because i don't believe this is going to be a flip bike for me either, thank you for all of you input IM SOOO EXCITED#)$%*@#$)^*@#$^)@*@)$^*#$&)#($&

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
kzrider was the first bike forum i was ever on due to my first bike being a kz440 haha. Unless things have really changed, it is a very good forum and people will bend over backwards to help you.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Awesome bike man, I like it; for $800 you got a great deal, just needs a little work with the trans and carb but nothing that cant be tackled. Parts might be a little spensive and hard to come by though considering it's an older bike but idk.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
everything should be pretty easy to get, these bikes still have aftermarket support out the wazoo, z1enterprises will be your friend. Just make sure you look at reviews that arent on that site to see what you are getting into, i heard some stuff from there is junk.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Badass I want one one day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts