Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my bike without a tachometer and was simply told that it had 30k mikes on it. before i sell it at some point i want to do a rebuild so i know exactly howmany miles are on it since it was built. whenever i look up rebuild kits all i find are a bunch of gaskets but there has to be more. maybe polish the cylinders and new rings? i really have no idea:confused:

·
old fart
3,713 Posts
Just tell the buyer that it has that milage on it!!
It will cost a lot to do an engine re fresh, and aint really worth the effort
as you wont get the investment in time/money back from the sale price

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tell the buyer that it has that milage on it!!
It will cost a lot to do an engine re fresh, and aint really worth the effort
as you wont get the investment in time/money back from the sale price
the thing is i really have no idea if the guy i bought it from was just guessing himself. i dont plan on doing this anytime soon but its a 21 year old bike that has been in an accident and i assume was ridden very hard by its last owner.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd just do the regular maintenance on it. Valve check, compression test, etc. These engines are actually really durable. As long as valve and compression checks are good it should be too. But, if you go all into it it would be new bearings, rod&crank, New gaskets, rings if needed, and a cylinder hone at the minimum. That's a rebuild and it is kinda pricey. Honestly if it gets that far for a resale, you won't get your money back. But like I said these bikes are really well designed. Like previously mentioned, just be honest about the mileage and you'll be good.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
why do u wanna rebuild it? is making weird noise, leaking, down on power? most "rebuilds" are done because something is wrong and needs fixing.

when we did the 08 1000rr rebuilds was because they were spinning bearings and some where gouging the crankshaft, so you open it which means all the gaskets, replace the crankshaft, replace bearings and plastic gauging them to check clearances which means ur taking the rods all apart again to measure those clearances, then put all back together again with the new gaskets, piston rings, pins, all the little pieces. also replaced all the rod bolts because theyre the stretching type and honda recommended replacing them. but that was because we already knew what needed done, if not, then u do everything mentioned except replacing the crank shaft while checking shit as u go along.

service manual and follow it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts