Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So currently I have clip on's on my bike, but I really like the look of the straight bars. Any benefits of either one? How hard would it be to change to the straight bars? This is new to me so help! Oh and Speak slowly! :clown:

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i have low rise dirty bars on my bike and was tempted to go back to clipons until i rode my buddies bike. no way could i ride that comfortably anymore.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
I swapped from higher bars to clipons. Clipons put more weight forward on the bike and give you better high speed handling. High rise bars are more relaxed and give you better low speed handling.

What are you doing with the bike?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Umm... I mainly use it for commuting to work or cruising around in town. Sometimes we will go on a short ride for the heck of it but not longer then a couple of hours and we don't fly around corners or anything. I also do not stunt. Also my wife rides on the back quite a bit.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Some higher bars might help you then, as you wont have to lean as far forward while riding. But if you do that, you may have to reroute or replace your throttle, brake, and clutch cables. Also drill your top triple to accept risers to mount the bars.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm.. I know I may have this backwards, but I actually like the bars LOWER! :) I like laying down on the bike and I do take corners quickly even when I don't really have to. I have seen guys put the clip on's under the triple. How comfortable is this?

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
clip-ons normally reside under the triple. and comfortable is relative. before fightering the Daytona, I could find a comfortable position with the OEM clip-ons.

although you have to use your core and abdominals to hold you up. NO WEIGHT ON YOUR WRISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this cannot be stressed enough. Also, when your weight is on the clip-ons, you are sending unneeded inputs into the bars, especially under braking and over bumps, dips and other surface irregularities. These can exacerbate headshake....a rather butthole tightening experience if your not used to it.

I kind of laugh when talking to sportbike guys who say riding kills their wrists. They usually won't listen when I give them the advice mentioned above.

But after putting dirty bars on the bike, the ride is a bit more relaxed. Don't have to concentrate so much on keeping my weight of the bars.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH! That would be way nice! Sometimes when my wife is on the back she tends to lean into me, which makes it harder to keep off my wrists. I think that would help. So how hard would it be to install dirty bars?

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Kind of depends. not sure how your top triple clamp is manufactured. If it's flat on top and has no spaces or gaps, you can drill for risers, get some bars and mount it all up.
From a previous post, I take it that your clip ons are above the triple? can you get a pic?

Clip ons will be lower, dirty bars will be higher, even with a low rise bar. going too low with the clip ons can lead to interference between the bars and tank.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after yesterday new bars are being put on hold. My bike got.. dropped.... Not by me! Now I need new bar end mirrors for it, and I need to repaint the scratches. Luckily I just have matte black on it for now. Anyone know where I can get decent... CHEAP bar end mirrors? or I guess any mirrors?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts