Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of haulers and trailers are you guys using when you need to haul a bike...when riding is not an option...?
I know, hauling a bike is not acceptable to most if the bike is running. But in my case there have been a number of times I have had to get bikes I have bought, or need to work on that don't run.
Or Because it's winter.....an endless winter....
I got this 1990 3/4 ton Dodge for $1000....found out after crawling under it.....it original had been in Arizona most all it's life (a old registration deep in the glove box confirmed it). NO RUST ANYWHERE UNDERNEATH!!!!! I had to buy it. After getting it home, I looked closer and it's got a 360 instead of the more common 318....Thing pulls like a freight train, but used a small fortune in gas when I took it to Virginia, to pick up a couple bikes on Thanksgiving.
Biggest reason I went the van route over a trailer is keeping the bikes out of the weather while hauling. And I am planning on doing some track days again this year (and ECTA), after way too many years of leaving my track bike collecting dust. So the bikes can be safe, locked up in the van at night while I'm at a hotel.

I have set it up for two bikes, and my girl friend bought me a kick ass ramp for it already...but..........
I'm looking for ideas to make this hauler ready for any kind of biking event, or need.....

Ideas.....?

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

What are you guys out there using?

PS......I did NOT paint it this way......but it has kinda grown on me....

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
That's about as baws as hauling bikes can get

Reactions: bonez8 and busa1300

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
One thing I would suggest is setting up a locking mechanism for the back doors on the inside, even something you can toss a padlock on and walk away from without a thought, if they can get in and get those rear doors open locking them with the factory equipped lock doesn't do much good, having a second means of keeping things secure is ideal. Outside of that I would say you have the nicest bike hauler I've seen in a long time.

Also, I would bolt a tool box to the floor with carriage bolts, a lockable tool box at that. Maybe a few loops to lock the bikes to the floor as well? I've had a major fear of traveling distance with a bike on a trailer due to the fear of auto theft. The tighter and more secure the van is the less likely it will be that anyone would take the time to attempt getting into it, and if they manage to, it would probably be a moment where they cut and run like hell realizing there is nothing of value easily accessed. ;)

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
That is sweet! I just use a 5x8 Uhaul. You can use it all day for $20. It doesn't get much better than that. An '88 Bronco or my wife's Hyundai Sonata tows it depending on how far away a motorcycle is or where we're going. When we're traveling with it - an onlooker probably thinks it's filled with a couch and some old clothes.

You could black out those back windows if you're worried about theft. Out-of-sight is the best deterrent.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
This is an 03 Avalanche with a Bandit 6 and almost 3 TLS's in it.

It also works exceptionally well at transporting 2 Great Danes and can easily carry 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall or up to 12' 2x4s. Find me another vehicle that can do all that, be a comfortable daily driver, AND get nearly 20mpg on the highway with the tonneau covers on.

·
☢
5,596 Posts

did this for a while. long trips, NJ to MI, and MI to PA and back. I don't recommend it. Too much movement for and aft, the 2x2 steel tube bent at the reciever, as well as the vertical bike support. And it's too much weight off the ass end of the truck.

Have since sold the s10, and will be getting an 8' bed pickup or van later on down the road.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I use a cheapo harbor freight trailer I bought it cheap from
My neighbor. I haven't done any traveling with it only pick up and drop off multiple bikes. I'll be using it for weekend trips to the track and mountains this year. Not to sure what I'll do for security. Probably a couple big heavy chains and padlocks through the rims of bikes and the hitch has a lock on it already so I'm good there.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts

24ish MPG on highway, seats 4, ice cold A/C, , big ass oil cooler, monster charging system, left lane seems to clear up in front of me most of the time.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way beyond my financial means.....or personal needs as well.............The company I paint for builds these for people with too much $$$ ...Or maybe a love of biking that goes beyond my imagination.

Kinda at the other end of the scale....

·
Registered
269 Posts
This, when not hauling horses of course. If I'm hauling a sport bike, it can go in the back no problems. If I gotta haul a cruiser (or lowered sport bike), I have a flat bed trailer I built that sits really close to the ground.

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
When only hauling 1 bike I just throw it in the back of the truck
When hauling 2 or more I've got an old dune buggy trailer I set up for bikes...
It's lower then anything else out there...
Have to see if I can find a pic from my Colorado trip

·
Registered
740 Posts
This plus some lowes ramps gets the job done...doesn't get even close to 20mpg on the highway but seats 4 adults comfortably and has plenty of power to play with
Really? I can get almost 20 with mine if I set the cruise at 65 all highway. 5.7, all stock, factory highway tires.

The last time I actually let it stretch its legs the driver side exhaust header cracked. It rattles like an old diesel now, but I'm having a hard time deciding to replace it over the "turn up the radio" solution.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Well see I don't know what 65 is. I normally set the cruise around 75. I have a 5.7 as well with cold air intake cat back exhaust and 20" wheels. Why not replace that cracked header and the other one with a set of long tubes?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Those Tundra's are really nice looking trucks.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts