Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering this idea a bit latley. Especially now that I'm basicly embarking on 2 projects. 1 being the rebuild of Damage Control and 2 being the build up of my old school Gixxer.

The thing that I keep running into is, what style, stance, color, polish, paint, etc... the typical stuff that everyone goes through when they start their project. And then I get this whole other side of the coin. What's it's function. Do I want something for the long haul, around town, the track or to just cruise and show?

I have a lot of influences that are hitting me from all angles and weeding through them all and narrowing it down to make everything flow has got to be the hardest part of any build. But to make it even more difficult is trying to take all these ideas that rattel around, put them together and not only make something work but also stand out among the rest.

Lost McGoon's article in this months NN got me thinking. Does the bike have a soul? I would agree. Once you get in there and start working it starts talking to you. But like any relationship there needs to be equal input from both parties.

When I first got into the Fighter scene I really dug the German style. It was in your face, unique and functional. But my background was cars. Hot Rods and Lowriders. Plus I've always been a fan of traditional choppers/ bobbers and cafe's. That's always stuck with me. I've also been a student of the less is more theory. As much as I like way out there customs, super clean concept cars and bikes have always been a favorite.

Now that I've been doing this for a few years I'm wanting to get back to my roots. But I don't want it to look like a clown bike either. As I think about it more and more I keep going back to that less is more theory and wanting to keep it clean and simple. Like the concept car theory and some of the traditional hot rod ideals. Make the designers original dream a reality. Smooth it out, clean it up and keep it cool yet functional.

Now I'm looking at my bikes and thinking, how do I play off these lines and make it look like it came off the showroom floor? The goal now is to be very detail driven.

When you start a new project, what drives you to your ultimate goal? IS it to be way out and unique, slick, fast, functional?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I just have an idea in my head and I try to make my bike look and ride a certain way... the kind of riding I do dictates most of it..

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Ditto.

Its all about ideas and seeing if you can make them happen. For me, its also about only exploring ideas that I can easily make happen my self. I'd love to build a custom frame for a couple projects that I have in mind...but that is not realistic. So, Instead, I do what I can with what I have, and make the best bike I can.

I was actually looking at Frames last night.....hardtails for a bobber project...which in my mind, is three bikes down the road....LOL. I just go crazy with ideas.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Learning as I go. I like my bikes to be as far from stock as possible when I get done with them, I always say my goal is to make them as indistinguishable as possible. But function has to play a deffinate part. I use my bikes for daily commuters, and occasional long haulers, and they have to hold up and take the use or they don't fit my bill.

I think thats part of the beauty of fighters though, we all have our own concepts of what makes a good bike, and we each implement them our own way.

My next bike, will have a little more of both form and function if all goes well. Just need to sell this 600...

·
Frosty Rider
384 Posts
When everyone else tells me i'm crazy/stupid/never gonna finish it. I just have to prove them all wrong.

·
364 Posts
I think most people have different ideas of the bike they would
like to build,i know its only the money side of it that stops me
{2 kids}at the moment{waiting for a claim}.what drives me is knowing
that i built it and it turned out the way i want it but in saying
that i'll end up selling or stripping it and doing something
different to it.i suppose its the fun of stripping and putting it back together
that i love.we can all buy someone elses bike but building your own just
can't be beaten

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
When everyone else tells me i'm crazy/stupid/never gonna finish it. I just have to prove them all wrong.
Yeah, I have that too! The more people tell it can't be done the more I MAKE it happen.

·
746 Posts
Building up my bike to whats its going to be when its done is some serius theropy to me. The build started when I bloody crashed it, destroying it (it was kinda lame anyways) and my own body. Iv spent months out in the garage in a wheel chair slowly building this bike into an ultimate expression of my personality. Watching it grow while my body heals gave me alot of hope and recently I started being able to move around under my own power and so has the bike. Paint is finished, I can walk with a cane. Im making a custom tail, when its done Ill get on the bike and ride.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
i usually just have a big pile of random parts, and not alot of money, and i just have to make shit fit. ingenuity goes a long way here, lol. i will admit though, to being very picky about the lines of a bike. i tend to like my bikes to look homebuilt, but not so homebuilt that they look like they'd fall apart if ridden with aggression (which, btw, they are... often) most of my projects start from pure boredom... or even better, someone telling me i can't do something. i just LOVE to prove people wrong about that. my first 'fighter was built on a bet from my old boss, which i won, for the record.

i just hate riding what everyone else is riding, plain and simple. i really only have one rule i always stick to, if i don't need it to go, stop, or turn (or sometimes, to stay out of jail, everyone's gotta compromise sometimes) then it doesn't go on my bikes.

i learned a long time ago to build what I like, and to not care about the rest. only certain people's opinions of my work really matter to me, and they're usually of like mind anyway, or alot older than i am.

·
Welcome to the new day...
2,672 Posts
I get an idea and try to make it come to fruition but it never does.

The bike seems to build itself based off what little building talent I have and what crap I got for parts laying around the shop.

I just try to go cheap ghetto on the biek I ride everyday. It is going to be abused to the max so i don't want to bling it out andmake it look nice.

Around here if it looks too nice it will get stolen. So the shittyer the better. I almost got mine done now finally.

My race bike - total opposite its all about slow percise building.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts

·
American Outlaw
110 Posts
To put it simply: I don't want something everyone else has.

I hate cookie-cutter bikes that are all just slight variations of every other bike on the road. I want something different.

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
My bike really doesn't look that different than a stock naked bike, no average person can tell that I did a complete swingarm shock conversion, or chopped off all extra plastic and metal, welded and made my own moto underbelly exhaust, but there is something about putting blood and sweat into your ride that makes it a part of you when your riding.

·
Life's Short, Stunt it!
737 Posts
well since i've only built one fighter, and am kinda still progressing on it, i can only talk about so far. but mainly i wrecked it, stripped it, liked the look and started modifying it. Mainly out of what i already had, but some things i had to buy, like headlights, and... well... thats about it. haha. everything else i made. the tail, i made, redid all the wiring and made everything fit. built my battery box and all the mounts for the electronics, and even built custom risers to fit over my stabilizer. i did buy the paint too.. which i love. cant wait to get a camera and show you all.
anyways... i try and make what i have fit, and modify it to make it lighter and more functional. i need to work on my engine to make it get some more power and more reliable. i think that will be my next addition. and i want to make an underseat exhaust. i think that would look tits.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
To be different than anything you see here in Kansas.

I was sitting talking with some guys the other night and there was a definite difference between them. Half were experienced riders with liter bikes, the other half were newbies with 600's. All of them were talking about what they were going to do to their bike, listing the plans. Thing is, besides an undertail or an exhaust, mine was the only modified bike there.

That felt nice. That when we took off, they were all on bikes that looked like they rolled off the showroom floor and mine is long and lowered and minimalistic. It was pretty badass.

So that is what is driving me at the minute. I don't care that it's a slow bike, which it is. It's completely different than anything around here. I have yet to see another stretched bike here. Not a one. So my goal is to continue to be different (for these parts) even if it means doing stuff that is already overdone as far as what you can find on the interweb.

·
Hmmm Interesting shit. nice to read ideas and motivations from the brutta-hood.

Now, I no say this because of minimal finance restrictions that shackle my expressionism.

I currently get a big hytte from fielding a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' if you know what I mean.

I get a maximus buzz if the wiseguy locks on my tail through the approach to some demanding road work out.

I believe they see the signature 'V' sign l.e.d's of my tail light and smirk into their lid that they gonna blow me away in a mile or two...
Ha!..SV sheeeet lol

Then Sundays usually come alive with an unspoken duel that usually ends with the wave of a hand and a head full of burinin shit I re-run for hours as I relax after my ride..

Win or Lose.....Nahhhh Each-Way Wins! I have mental imagery of that ride that burns a neurological path into my brain that is sometimes referred to as experience

I may have picked up nuances of my opponents technique if he was point. but he may have learned sumthin from me too as the blast progresses.

Bottom line seems to be...We all need more than just ONE bike to really explore all the possibilities our sport has.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts