Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fitting an R1 caliper to an FZR400 rear end as part of my project.
I'm in the process of lining it all up on templates etc to get all my final measurements and possibly a model made up to supply to my local machine shop.
As its a brake part I'm keen to make sure it stays in one piece and is there when I want/need it.
So simple/stupid question - what grade aluminium do I get it made from?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
What grade "Billet" do I use

6061 is pretty common for brake caliper adapters but 7075 might also be a decent choice.

I made a bracket to fit a Brembo rear caliper, from a Ducati, to a Vfr swingarm from 5/8" thick 6061.

Later, Doug

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Re: What grade "Billet" do I use

I'm a big fan of 7075 for manual machining. Extra strength is a bonus, especially when threading, and its no harder to work. But i buy cutoffs at $5 a pound or less. New stock can be insane. Unless i already have suitable 6061, I'm using 7075 for my caliper mounts.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I would also get a T6 no matter what alu you're going to use, cause of the elevated temp in the area.

Also note that the 7000 series of aluminium corrodes more than the 6000 series. (would recommend painting the 7075)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Re: What grade "Billet" do I use

True on the corrosion problems with 7075. Especially if its in contact with raw steel. Shit goes crazy.
galvanic corrosion is like a :ninja:, fast and you don't see it coming before its too late...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice all. I've gotta finalise the measurements before I go see the machinist but at least now I've got half a clue what I'm talking about and don't end up with a piece made of cheese.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts