Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, now I know that this seems pretty silly, but I've been having an argument with some people to the effect that they've been telling me that no matter what happens when you swap a swingarm you're going to end up with a worse ride (not in looks). I'm not sure how they came to this conclusion but I'm having trouble convincing them otherwise.

So I'm wondering, to everyone that's swapped a swingarm, are you happy with it? Is it tougher to ride now, or easier. And are there any unusual characteristics in the ride now that your swingarm is different?

Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
did they give you any reasons for this or just simply tell you your wrong. and factory parts are betteR?

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
With mine I noticed absolutly no difference. (older ZX6R swinger replaced with newer 636)

The only real diferences that will result from swingarm swaps are as afollows:

shortening or lengthening of wheelbase - but really most desirable SA swaps won't change that all that much. A shorter wheelbase will give you a quicker handling bike which is, generally speaking, more desirable.

Alow you to put on a wider wheel, which can be good, but would add to your overall weight.

Give you a braced arm which theoretically will handle better during hard cornering - but I have my suspicions on how practical that is for anything but serious track use.

Uh, I think there was another point I had but I lost it. Basically remind these people that the factory parts are not dictated by what performs best. They are dictated by $$$ What is most cost effective and desirable for the customer.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
The main problem comes from the difference in the angle of the shock, which can cause drastic differences.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
skr00z told me about it and since then I've ridden two bikes with swingarm swaps where the bikes had bad shock angles. It was impressively bad.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
yeah, linkage ratios between bikes are different usually, and without the thought (and math unfortunatly) put into it sometimes they ride like crap. now, if you're dealing with a straight rate (linkage-less) setup, as long as you get the shock angle the same as it was before the swap, it's usually fine.

there's just so many variables involved. damping rates, spring rates, linkage ratios, swingarm length, shock length, etc. ninw times out of ten as long as you get it "close" on a street bike it's fine. on a racebike that's another story. you're gonna see loads and forces on the track that you'll never see on the street.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
skr00zloose said:
yeah, linkage ratios between bikes are different usually, and without the thought (and math unfortunatly) put into it sometimes they ride like crap. now, if you're dealing with a straight rate (linkage-less) setup, as long as you get the shock angle the same as it was before the swap, it's usually fine.

there's just so many variables involved. damping rates, spring rates, linkage ratios, swingarm length, shock length, etc. ninw times out of ten as long as you get it "close" on a street bike it's fine. on a racebike that's another story. you're gonna see loads and forces on the track that you'll never see on the street.

See, I get the linkage angles, the shock angle, and the arm angle of the stock bike with me on it, and then I use the upper shock mount as a datum that all other measurements are taken from so that I can (as close as possible) simulate the stock setup.

·
Fresh outta Fighter camp!
357 Posts
Well seeing that the topic at hand pertains to a subject of my build, what do you guys think about this-

2003 F4i, swapping to a 600RR swing arm, with a 1000RR shock.
Stock the F4i lower shock mount sits above the swingarm, on a 45* angle upwards towards the upper shock (under the rear tank/forward seat brace); is how the stock shock sits. The lower shock mount uses linkage that drops down under the swingarm, and bolts to the motor.

The new swingarm setup is like this- upper shock mount bolts directly to the swingarm, lower shock mount uses new linkage that bolts damn close to the stock location. This time the shock will be almost perpindicular to the ground.

I dont mean to hi-jack Sev- but maybe with a given example we can understand the topic more?

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
cRaZy8 said:
Well seeing that the topic at hand pertains to a subject of my build, what do you guys think about this-

2003 F4i, swapping to a 600RR swing arm, with a 1000RR shock.
Stock the F4i lower shock mount sits above the swingarm, on a 45* angle upwards towards the upper shock (under the rear tank/forward seat brace); is how the stock shock sits. The lower shock mount uses linkage that drops down under the swingarm, and bolts to the motor.

The new swingarm setup is like this- upper shock mount bolts directly to the swingarm, lower shock mount uses new linkage that bolts damn close to the stock location. This time the shock will be almost perpindicular to the ground.

I dont mean to hi-jack Sev- but maybe with a given example we can understand the topic more?
i did that exact same swap on an f4 once, it worked just fine. the guy that owns the bike is a serious corner carver/ track day guy, and he loves it.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
on a side, but related note, sometimes the problems froma swingarm swap can be ovecome with a simple shock swap.

one of the more exteme examples is people that use a braces swinger, weld a mounting point to the top of the brace and then go with adirest, linkless setup but with the original shock.

the solution to this (besides undoing the whole thing) would be to get a shock from a bike that has close to the same suspension geometry as the post swap bike. in this case I would say something likea ducati 900ss

like this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts