Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my rims powdercoated, put em back on I swear I tightened all my rotor bolts well with my T-handle but apparently not as one of my rear rotor bolts backed out and began hitting my caliper bracket causing the bike to jerk. It made all sorts of noise during this, squealing grinding. I had to drive it a quarter mile, I took it easy on it there; never went over 30. The bolt and the bracket had both sheared slightly from it all.

Well I tightened and loctited the bolt along with the others but now I'm having a noise. The bike rides and runs great, smooth accel decel, no jerking or problems firing. But back to the noise, it does it only in first gear when I'm first taking off, it starts in the friction zone and stops once I hit about 5k rpms. It's like something is loose and wiggling making a squeaking chirping noise. Like I'm hitting a resonant frequency of something and it's jimmying around rubbing. It's definitely a metal on metal noise, kinda like a gas tank rubbing the frame noise.

Its not a loud whining squeal like a car with a bad belt but it's audible to me, it sounds like it's coming from the front of the bike. I took the brakes off to make sure it wasn't those, it wasn't; I checked and made sure everything was tight, fender, mirrors, handlebars, tank, starter cover, stator, stator cover, headlight. I even pulled the front sprocket cover and tightened the front sprocket (it was a little loose as I could wiggle the sprocket washer a tiny bit). I can't really pinpoint it as it only does it taking off.

If you guys got anything at all I'd appreciate it.

woops forgot to say it's an 05 gsxr 600.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did they/you remove the bearings when you got them coated? If not, I'd put my money on a dry bearing where the heat cooked the grease.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App
We took em out, I replaced all the bearings with all balls as well. I greased them before I put them in too. Ill check them though by gettin the front off the ground. See if I can make reproduce the noise

When they powder coated the rims did they powder coat the face of the hub? Do you have pics of the wheels?
They did coat the Cush drive and the rotor face on the rear but no coat on the front rotor facesI scraped and blasted the rear rotor face. My rear brake isn't dragging and my chain alignment seems alright on the 3 o clock of the rear sprocket.

The noise seems to be engine dependent as it will occur before the wheels even start spinning; like while the clutch is in the friction zone to take off. As soon as I get going its gone, like after I hit the 10 mph 5kish revs it quiets down. Ill be checkin the bearings thoroughly though tonight.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured out the problem was and was able to fix it. My brake side wheel hub is worn a little; the bearing race could spin in the hub when force is first applied but it would stop and grab after spinning for a second or two. Luckily I couldn't wiggle it any so wear isn't as bad as it could be.

I first tried to jb weld it but the jb weld could grab hold of the race with it being perfectly smooth so I found an old feeler gauge set and cut a tappet in half put the two halves in the hub and worked the bearing down in there. No noise no more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts