Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will make a deeper exhaust note than the rice burning Yoshi I have on my bike now? Is it possible with an inline 4 to get a deeper sound that's Ducati like?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Try chopping it. It's never going to be as low a pitch as a twin but a long muffler doesn't help :)

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I am no exhaust expert, but I think it has to do with piston size and exhaust pulsing. V twins have larger diameter pistons for the same size CC motor in an inline 4. So, with that in mind, I don't think it matter what exhaust you put on it, its not gonna sound like a duc.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Exhaust sound is dependant on cylinder dimentions, head design, number of cylinders, firing order, engine angle/bank, pipe dimensions, pipe shape, intake design, and muffler design.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know it's not going to sound exactly like it but there has to be something that can give it a deeper growl. I saw/heard a bike from a distance the other day...I believe it was a Honda (not sure) and it had a deep growl to it. What do 2 brothers sound like? I know I sound like a real newb asking these questions but I've never replaced an exhaust on a bike and I need to be steered in the right direction.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
haelo said:
Exhaust sound is dependant on cylinder dimentions, head design, number of cylinders, firing order, engine angle/bank, pipe dimensions, pipe shape, intake design, and muffler design.

:Stupid:

it has little to do with the pipe, and alot to do with the bike.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It very well might have been. When I first heard it I turned around and could have sworn I was going to see a Duc.

·
407 Posts
your inline will never sound like a twin, unless you pull a couple spark plugs then it will sound like a 500cc verticle twin that is running like shit. hahaha!!

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess your missing my point. I KNOW it won't sound like a twin. But there must be something that will make it somewhat deeper than what it is.

·
407 Posts
trav72 said:
I guess your missing my point. I KNOW it won't sound like a twin. But there must be something that will make it somewhat deeper than what it is.
overbore the living shit out of it. displacement = deeper tone

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Or just chop the can.

Try listening to other bikes just like yours with different exhaust set-ups to find what you like.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
A chopped can that is round in shape, cut 10-12 inches long ( the can) Will change the tone a bit.

I have a yoshi can on my gsxr 1,000 = Sounds good:)

Cut titanium can 10 inches on my 750 ( grand dragon gear ) = great raspy soundin thing ( I love the way this thing sounds ) not too loud at all like i thought :LolLolLolLol:

·
407 Posts
the shorter you go the raspier it sounds, but dont neccesarily confuse this with a deeper tone. Sometimes I wish I hadn't shortened mine, maybe I'm getting old.

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
pull 2 plug wires:D

it was a good chance that the honda you heard was a VFR they and V-max's sound awesome with pipes. because they're conviguration is a V-4. they really have a growl moreover any twin or inline.

as far as your can, you may just want to repack it. yosh's are known for their good sound quality. i repacked my TLR cans with 2 bags per side. yes it was a tight fit but it lost that loose raspy sound. (i know it still sounded good due to the twin) but it made a great difference. or look for a can with a larger opening pipe. i am not convinced that shortening up the can will get you deeper. we have done dozens of them here. they get my vote on the looks dept. however the loudness overtakes the sound quality imho.

from my experience the cans that leave a bad taste in my ears are:

D&D, kerker, muzzy, old school vance & slimes, and old school jardine

·
Life's Short, Stunt it!
737 Posts
all that about the engine is true... but a different pipe can give it a different tone. anyone ever tried putting a 1000 pipe on a 600? for some weird reason (i dont know why) my step bro put a 2 brothers pipe for a 954 on his gsxr600 and its pretty deep. sounds real nice. now that being said, i dont expect it to sounds like a duc., but then again i dont think you are expecting anything dead on.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If i put dual exhaust on my civic will it make it sound like a chevy big block?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Its just that....well....thats kinda what the question sounds like.... lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts