Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
FAT IS THE NEW SKINNY!!!!
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for about 12 years. I have alot of drag racing experience, a ton of serious street riding experience with no serious accidents, as well as a couple years of pretty serious stunt riding. Where I live I would say I am considered a pretty good rider. I dont think I am a great rider. Just curious what you guys think qualifies you to be a great rider.

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
i am sure i will slide across much more asphalt in my motorcycle carer.

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
We as humans measure our achievements based on a flawed truth. With a constantly shifting concept of what greatness is, I'm afraid I can't answer this question with any lasting certainty.

·
Never Seen, Never Heard
485 Posts
yeah what he said

Reactions: ROBBO

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
I have been riding for about 12 years. I have alot of drag racing experience, a ton of serious street riding experience with no serious accidents, as well as a couple years of pretty serious stunt riding. Where I live I would say I am considered a pretty good rider. I dont think I am a great rider. Just curious what you guys think qualifies you to be a great rider.
Easy, you are a great rider if you never ride with anyone else :party-smiley:

Being a great rider doesnt mean you can do 150 on a back road while dragging knee. It means you know how to handle your bike, react to situations from instinct and not worry about how good of a rider you are:D

·
Super Moderator
15,065 Posts
Easy, you are a great rider if you never ride with anyone else :party-smiley:

Being a great rider doesnt mean you can do 150 on a back road while dragging knee. It means you know how to handle your bike, react to situations from instinct and not worry about how good of a rider you are:D
+1000

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
im a SLOW rider but i like playing catch up, i keep my tires scrubbed in good all the time but im trying to work on my left side more its always lopsided

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
I think a truelly great rider comes from the mindset your a "Motorcyclist" first, and a "stunt rider", "hooligan", "knee dragger", "biker", etc second.

Safety and concern for you and everyone around you should be first and foremost. If your not thinking any more than "I just get on and ride", "I like to just go", "I'm good enough". FUCK YOU, find a diffrent sport, your going to be a statistic in no time.

I can sort out everything from a ride, why I made a certian mistake to how I could have avoided a close call with a cager. More times than not, I don't have to think about those things because I was consous of them in the first place when they were occuring. A sixth sence that tells you there is danger isn't something ANYONE climbs on a bike with, it is indeed developed over time with exposure to the right situations and mental conditioning.

"Motorcyclist" first, fill in the "style" second. A truelly great rider can pick ones self apart, figure out the issues, and make a good, for certian decision to change such behavior and mindset and become better.

A great rider has to come from a great understanding of yourself, your machine, and your sport.

I strive for excellence. Do you?

-RatFighter

·
is lurking in the shadows
3,859 Posts
I consider myself to be a good rider (not great) because I try to always stay within my limits and make smart decisions based on my situation. I'm extremely picky of who I'll ride with because I understand that they can easily influence my safety.
I love that pic
We're not talking about rump-raiders yet
Sad that you had to add yet....

·
FAT IS THE NEW SKINNY!!!!
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good feedback guys. lot of different opinions.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
I think some people I've ridden with would think I'm a good rider, but I think I just get by. I have the control of the bike and the respect for how much it hurts to hit the ground but sometimes I just don't give a shit. I find myself, much like I'm sure most of us do, often times with the throttle pinned wide open looking for another gear, looking for more speed, looking for another corner or car to pass. I think that takes away from me being a good rider, I'm not using my head, I'm not always being safe, I'm just going. Don't get me wrong, I'll putt putt along a beautiful road with great scenery at the speed limit in the right mood.

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
I think some people I've ridden with would think I'm a good rider, but I think I just get by. I have the control of the bike and the respect for how much it hurts to hit the ground but sometimes I just don't give a shit. I find myself, much like I'm sure most of us do, often times with the throttle pinned wide open looking for another gear, looking for more speed, looking for another corner or car to pass. I think that takes away from me being a good rider, I'm not using my head, I'm not always being safe, I'm just going. Don't get me wrong, I'll putt putt along a beautiful road with great scenery at the speed limit in the right mood.

Bro, I've never met ANYONE that doesn't do that and has or will be with the sport for long. I have my moments where I just let fucking loose too, so does my (step) dad. He is the best rider I know, better than most racers I know of. He lets it loose in moments I would never imagine a quiet man such as him to do so in. He will pass cars totally fucking ghost rider style and nobody will even flinch (in the cars). He has hooliganism dialed in man.

But at the same time, he is the single best Motorcyclist I have met too. A true man of both sides. I strive to be a hooligan as much as I strive to be a motorcyclist.

Your the kind of dude I'm talking about, you are about the perfection before the chaos. :rock:

Awsome thread even if it is a repeat of others I have seen here and elsewhere. Gets the brain thinking on a diffrent level than usual.

-Ratty

·
r27
130 Posts
uhh..maybe he rides with safety on his mind,for fellow riders,motorist and getting there in 1 piece safe so that his\her family will not worry to death.
doesnt matter if yer bit slower than others just ridin smart is always great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any new opinions?
I don't know if it's "new" or not... but I'll weigh in too.

A good rider is a good thinker. He thinks about what is ahead, he thinks about what's behind, he thinks about what's below, and occasionally takes in the sights above. You have to pay close attention to what is around you and prepare for what might happen: is that car in front of you looking to change lanes, is that truck behind you coming up way faster than it should be, is that dark spot on the road some slippery oil. I'm constantly watching around me and thinking about possible outcomes of other people's actions which keeps me ready for when it does happen. I believe that will keep me safe in the end.

So far, I've been down twice in my ten years of riding street bikes. Both times were my own fault and I was still groggy after not enough sleep. When I'm mentally alert, I'm a good rider.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts