Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some of you guys use a spray foam from a can to mold tails/seats. What is this stuff and where can I buy it?

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That I know but do I need a specific kind or will like the standard "great stuff" home sealant type stuff at home depot work?

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
the great stuff is...just alright. I still haven't found a way to keep the foam at a constant consistency when using great stuff.

when you cut and shape it might get lumpy because some spots are softer than others.

I would probably use the green craft foam or sheet foam 2-3 inches thick and glue/stack them then cut/shape.

although i'm lazy and i always have spray foam laying around

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,403 Posts
The spray foam works. One trick when using it: after it has set for 24 hours use something thin and sharp to stab a bunch of vent holes in it. Do this a few days in a row. What happens is the middle does not cure nearly as fast as the outside so ad the middle cuts it expands and changes the shape of the outside. If you start shaping it right away then your nicely shaped part will slowly deform.

If you don't want to risk deforming then use the green styrofoam. The expanding foam does a great job of gluing the green foam together.

a serrated bread knife and a cheese grater are great fir shaping.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet guys thanks for the tips, ill be buying me some fiberglass and foam here next week. Need me a cafe tail.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,966 Posts

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,403 Posts
i think the green floral/craft foam is the best option.
The green stuff is pricey. I bought it at Michael's craft store with a 40% off coupon and I still feel like I paid too much. Any other ideas where to get it a little cheaper?

·
That just happened
246 Posts
I've used the green blocks before I liked the outcome a lot and got a good deal on the price thanks to my girlfriends hobby lobby card. When I went to cut it out I used a electric knife I use to clean fish with it worked great and after that I used the fiberglass file to smooth things out. One thing I did learn though is that before I layed fiber glass in I covered the foam in metal duct tape then waxed the tape. It helped my mold release a lot easier.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do y'all have a joann fabrics? you can get cheap floral foam there, that's what I'm using. you get a six pack of 7-7/8" x 3-7/8" x 2-7/8" blocks for $4.99

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just picked up 12 blocks of floral foam and a 1" thick 12x18 sheet of Styrofoam to use as a base for $16, going to be working on my cafe tail this weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.