Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm working on a rear seat unit for my fighter and its a trellis design similar to the RC8 ktm. what grade tubing should i use? i'm also forming the tail unit in steel sheet. i know its heavier than ali but i can be more creative with steel. thanx.

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Depends on what outer diameter you are using. The bigger the OD, the thinner wall you can use. Strength to weight ratio is easily increased by upping the OD, as opposed to upping the wall thickness.

Also, "how thin you can get away with" is far beyond the information you have supplied. Structural design, welding capability, and alloy all play important factors.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. i'm not welding anything. i leave that to my local welder. all i'm doing is cutting and shaping. i should have also said that its for a single seat, no pillion. i'm probably looking at 1" for the main frame and 5/8 for the trellis bits.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
if you arent welding it yourself why dont you go with stainless?

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
if you arent welding it yourself why dont you go with stainless?
My guess would be cost, a stick of 1" 14 gauge 304l stainless tubing is usually around $140+/- depending on where you get it and if you pay taxes or not. It can add up to some very expensive mistakes sense its his first trellis build. Also sense he is not doing the welding himself the cost of having someone weld it would go up two fold sense stainless would have to be purged and back flowed which = alot more work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts