Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is off of my 1993 cbr 600 f2, it is supposed to be connected to the airbox on the right hand side but mine cracked off

it attaches to the carbs inbetween number 2 and 3 with the big hose thats pointing to the left

in mine the filter inside of it was allmost nonexistant, i am worried that bits of it got sucked in and is causing it to run bad

i used a screwdriver to peel of the other bits before i took that pic but it had basically turned to gunk.

google is not being much help, what is this filter called and where can i find a new one?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts

This view is from the front of the carbs, your picture is from the back, but the look to match. Looks like the filter would go on the end of that tube numbered '45'.

My guess would be it's a filter to provide ambient air pressure to the under-sides of the cv slide 'condom'.

In which case, a bit of fluff getting in there would not hurt much. Its not gonna block the tubes or air pressure, and it can't get into the fuel passages. Put a happy little cone filter on the end of the tube, like yah often see on crank case filters, and you are good as new.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Correct. As the CV slides go up and down the opposite, non-vacuum side vents to atmosphere. Those little filters are to try and keep oil/gunk from being sucked in there and potentially sticking up the slide. Only a very small amount of air passes through them.

They're not hugely important and many bikes have no filters on them at all. Unless the slides are sticky or slow (just push up on each one with the engine off and note how it returns down, they should all be similar), I wouldn't worry about it.

If the slides do look gunky or are slow, remove the diaphragm cover and very carefully lift them out. This may not be possible with the carbs in the bike. Lightly scrub them with a scotch-brite pad and then hose off with carb spray to remove any deposits. There's no point in oiling them, gasoline mist will wash it off almost immediately anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts