Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to decide what to do with my wife's bike.

A couple of years ago she decided that she wanted to learn to ride, so I watched kijiji for a couple of weeks and found a banged up but running 1981 Virago 750 for cheap.

She spent the summer learning to ride, never put the bike down (other then dropping once it trying to get it onto the center stand) and passed her tests with flying colors.

The bike was in pretty rough shape when we bought it, but now that she had proven herself a good rider and I figured it would be safe to fix the bike up a bit.

Here is the progress thus far...

Before:

During:

How it currently sits:

I was in the process of blacking out the entire frame of the bike, but, kinda ran out of steam. I haven't quite figured out what I want to do with the back end of the bike. Definitely must get rid of the hideous rear fender and taillights. I would like to swap out the front forks and change the stance of the bike, different handle bars etc. etc.

It's either that or throw it back to the classifieds and look for a better project bike...

Thoughts, suggestions and/or advice would be awesome!
Thanks for lookin'

·
VAG Commander
755 Posts
The easiest way to do this is take it in steps. First, I would ditch the windshield and get some clip-ons or maybe a drag bar as that seems to be a constant in the pics you are using for inspiration. As the bike progresses it will become clear what you want to do with the rear.

...oh, and paint the rear wheel black to match the front!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Problem is, that windshield is almost a damn necessity with all the grasshoppers in Estevan lol

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The easiest way to do this is take it in steps. First, I would ditch the windshield and get some clip-ons or maybe a drag bar as that seems to be a constant in the pics you are using for inspiration. As the bike progresses it will become clear what you want to do with the rear.

...oh, and paint the rear wheel black to match the front!

I actually have a pretty good Idea of what I want to do out back, basically the same as the first "inspiration" picture, but with a decent seat and some sort of floating rear fender (gravel is a bitch). Hopefully the back end will get painted once I tear it down and start chopping it up lol

Another thing I have to keep in mind with this bike is that it's my wife's ride and she's seriously short! It may take some experimentation with a few different bars before I find something that looks decent AND she can reach. So if anyone has a large and varied selection of cheap bars, I'm lookin...

Problem is, that windshield is almost a damn necessity with all the grasshoppers in Estevan lol

So I see you've visited this armpit of city? I'm sorry you had endure this place!

Unfortunately its true, I've been contemplating some sort of small windscreen for my viffer, have taken many 'hoppers to the throat, stings like a bitch every time!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Many, many times. Like I said, friends and family in the area--hell, one of them is on town council lol :)

·
XV920 cafe bastard
203 Posts
i have one in the garage.. stripped down for a fighter build with a cafe flare.. i was supposed to build it for the 2012 build off but.. it may be for the 2013...

they do good as bobber, cafe and fighter. it all depends on what you like and what riding you do. for forl swap the main concern is the 32'' long forks and 19'' wheel.. installing a gsxr1100 forks will drop the front end by 4 inch... i have pictures of that set up if you want.. a triumph rear shock can be installed to help at the rear, ( speed triple and such)
you can search here for informations, or i can answer them here as i've done a lot of research and planning for my build. if you want to go wire wheels, virago were available with wire wheels 19'' front and 16', rer. so the hubs can be laced to any rim you want. to build as a cafe, the rear tank mount is raised and a subframe build to allow for a higher seat

coo project, those virago,s are becoming more and more popular

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
installing a gsxr1100 forks will drop the front end by 4 inch... i have pictures of that set up if you want.. a triumph rear shock can be installed to help at the rear, ( speed triple and such)
you can search here for informations, or i can answer them here as i've done a lot of research and planning for my build.
I would love to see that front end setup and any other info you can provide would be great! I may have to pick your brain a bit once I get started on this.

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
Good for ya wife riding. :thumbsup:

And I really like that silver one with the R1 forks.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
you are starting off with the best virago base you can get. The first gen is soooo much easier to fighterize since it has an actual sub frame. I am with chaos.... you should deff head in that direction

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you are starting off with the best virago base you can get. The first gen is soooo much easier to fighterize since it has an actual sub frame. I am with chaos.... you should deff head in that direction
Yah, I agree, the single shock setup and rear subframe make this a sweet bike to chop up. Unfortunately, this bike has been put on the back burner for now. Too many other projects on the go, building a garage, renovating house and my VFR project.

Also, just found out the wifey is pregnant, so, that may put a crimp in her riding plans next summer.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
how about you just ship it to me and ill finish it for you :)

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
bad starter im guessing.

shipping to the states would be insane btw hahaha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts