Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, it's almost time for racing season to start, and I'm going to get some better boots and gloves since mine don't have quite as much protection as I want and they are getting a little worn.
So what have you had success with, what are you using, and what would you stay away from.

Right now I'm debating between Astars GP pro gloves and Scorpion's clutch glove. I think the clutch looks better from a sliding perpective but it doesn't have Astars pinkie bridge which keeps bringing me back to the gp pro. I've been wearing scorpion's SG3 for the last couple years which I really liked, it's been a good glove.

I have been looking at the Puma 1000 V4 boots, but I think they will be a little tight, I think the biggest size is 46 and I wear a 12 in boots. My AXO boots are 47s and they are just right. So Astars supertech R or maybe Sidi vertigo.

I also need a back protector, can't decide between Knox Aegis or Astars nucleon KR1.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I've used he astar gp pros and the scorpion clutch. I liked both, scorpion would be my but because it's more comfortable and less stiff. Also softer liner.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Shoei rf-1200 helmet
A* Motegi suit
A* track vest
A* GP+ gloves
Sidi Vortice boots

I broke the boots so I need to see if I can get them fixed but they are awesome. I use the GP+ gloves on the street too. The rf-1200 is great other than losing a pinlock and having to put one of those dot stickers on the visor to get rid of wind noise. The suit is good but nothing spectacular. The track vest is nice but I plan to get a more comprehensive back protector when money allows.

·
10,448 Posts
I'm thinking about trying the A* supertech R boots next and I haven't looked into back protectors in a while but I've always heard great things about Knox so that's probably where I'd start.

·
10,448 Posts
I have an extra pair of GP+ gloves I'm trying to sell. They're size XXL if you're interested.

On the Vortice boots there is a strap that goes across the top of your foot and is Y shapped with the double ended side to the inside of your foot. Where one of those ends is sewn onto the boot is where it broke. Material must have fatigued or something. It's weird because I've never been down in the boots and I haven't really been rough with them that it could have been torqued on goofy. I still did a track day or two like that though.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
I wear GP Pro gloves. If they're a little stiffer it's because they're Kevlar lined. I was choosing between the Dainese Full Metal, HP Tech, and GP Pro... I didn't like Dainese's version of the distortion control, and the Tech didn't offer enough over the Pro to justify the cost (kangaroo vs cow and one more tiny slider).
For boots I wear SIDI Vertigos, because I got them at 50% off and I like how they look.
Dainese 2 piece with upgraded (Forcefield) pads, and a Shoei helmet.

·
3,993 Posts
Not in store lol. A buddy got them, had ordered them online so he hadn't tried them on, wore them 2 or 3 times and decided they didn't like how they fit.
Check out Performance Cycle off I-25 and Dry Creek, it's a bit of a drive for you but well worth it... they have very competitive prices on gear, usually beating the online stores, and great customer service. I've gotten handwritten thank you cards in the mail from the family that owns the place thanking me for my business after large purchases.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I'll check it out. Was going to use revzilla.com since I use their reviews, thought I'd support them for that. Maybe I'll call the performance cycle place, have to go back to Denver anyway to get my spare wheels for the 999.

I've decided on tcx rs2 evos. Leaning towards the GP tech gloves. I spent most of the night in the er getting stitches and now it's infected and hurts like hell so I've decided spending a bit more for gear isn't a bad idea. GP tech has full Kevlar lining so as long as the stitches don't fail my hand should never touch pavement.

·
3,993 Posts
They'll give you a discount too if you go this month.
The Pro has full Kevlar lining too. The only difference between the Pro and the Tech is that the Tech has kangaroo leather vs cow leather and it has an extra slider on the palm below the thumb where the Pro has a thick pad, but it's pretty small and the rest of the sliders are the same. To me, that wasn't enough of a difference in protection to justify the extra cost. I was just looking at all this a few days ago, picked up the Pro gloves and a transition visor so I don't have to carry around a clear and dark.
Performance usually beats Revzilla on prices, and you'll be supporting a local business.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mcantar, thanks for the tip. Went into performance cycle today and got what I hope will be all the gear I need. Super nice store no joke, they put a lot of effort into making that place look good.
I got Sidi Mag-1s on sale for less than the price of the TCX boots I was going to buy and got to try on gloves and realized I liked the RS Taichi GP Evo better than the A* GP Pro.
It hit 70 today and the BikerBoyz and SOA were everywhere.

·
3,993 Posts
Glad to hear they took care of ya. Those Taichi gives are sweet, I almost got those myself but couldn't get over the fat knuckles.
My group was out today too, if you saw a dozen bikes including a couple black/orange Busa's at Performance, that was them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts