Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some dumb things motorcycle related over the years, but this is the first. Me and buddy of mine were trying to get his motorcycle started. We were both 16 at the time. I had a 250 Riverside and he had a Honda 65. We kicked and kicked on it trying to get it started. Then I had the bright idea to pull it with my bike to get it going. We tied a rope to my bike and tied the other end to his handlebars, it was about 30' long ( I think you all can see where this is going) :nuts:

Anyway we took off down his driveway and instead of waiting till we got on the road he let the clutch out about half way down the driveway. Well his bike roared to life, well as much as a Honda 65 can roar and he came shooting by me, I'm thinking what the hell he's going to kill us both. We found out real quick why the bike wouldn't start, the throttle was stuck wide open. So anyway he came to the end of the rope and jerked my bike about a third of the way around then the rope broke.

Somehow we both managed to stay on two wheels. I watched him shoot down the driveway go across the road jump the ditch across the street, cut across a couple of yards come out another driveway ( he had a look of sheer terror on his face ) and disappear down the road. We started the bike in 2nd gear so he had a little speed built up by now. While I'm standing there scratching my head wondering where he got off to, I hear him coming back down the road power shifting through the gears. He gets close to the house, kills the motor and coast into the driveway.

We fix the throttle, had a good laugh and went riding.

·
stunting is not a crime
53 Posts
But the whole rope idea Ive done it with cars before and got a ticket from the cops, I guess its illegal to pull a car down public roads hahahha..... When I used to mess with r.c cars I was drilling a screw and holding the part in my hand, and at 1st it was going nice and slow then i was like its taking too long so i pushed harder and then next thing I know the drill bit was in my pointer finger, I felt sick and before I did anything else I lite up a cig and was thinking " great time to go to the e.r" and there was no blood till I got this genius idea and backing the drill bit back out my finger and here comes the blood. But after all this I learned that they make a vise for a reason and to use them. And I think we all of some dumb things that we did.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I think one of the more dumb things I did was back when I first started street riding (holy shit that was over a decade ago!), so I'm getting to live an era I never lived in, riding my 1977 XS650, leather jacket, feeling the part, looking the part, was just a great day and a great ride up to that point. (I think I've told this one before...)

So I pull up to a gas station, fill up, feeling good I put my helmet back on, slip on my gloves, feet on the pegs, kickstand down, flip on the key and give a mighty kick to the 650 twin standing on the pegs.... it was far too late at that point, I had left it in gear and it was warm so it was nice and loose, it chugged forward just far enough to lever it off the stand and send the bike crashing down on the left side leaving me in front of a few horrified onlookers, my bike on its side, and me dusting off my blue jeans trying not to look around and see how many people actually saw me do that.

Wasn't going to be the last time I kicked a bike, at that particular gas station, and ended up on the ground either. Did the same thing with my CB360T, effectively running it into a concrete and chainlink retaining wall, that was equally stupid of me.

Moral of these stories, make sure your bike is NOT in gear before kicking it over. :oops:

·
V four honda whore
12,494 Posts
my mate on bicycle grabbed my passenger handle and i dragged him for a while, then i decided to accelerate. he got scared almost fell of pushbike and because of his hand drag my rear end got loose, not to mention i wasnt get well with my bike, almost fell too

G

·
A very long time ago when I was 17 I decided to ride into town on a Saturday morning while wearing trainers, I got right into the centre & pulled up in front of a bunch of mates & very good looking girls feeling like mr cool until I tried to put my feet down & fell very gracefully in a heap, the laces of my trainers were caught around the gear lever :redface:

Weeks later on a mates CG125 I was pulling wheelies behind a bus & generally showing off to the same girls when the bus stopped ..... I didn't :doh:

·
V four honda whore
12,494 Posts
A very long time ago when I was 17 I decided to ride into town on a Saturday morning while wearing trainers, I got right into the centre & pulled up in front of a bunch of mates & very good looking girls feeling like mr cool until I tried to put my feet down & fell very gracefully in a heap, the laces of my trainers were caught around the gear lever :redface:

Weeks later on a mates CG125 I was pulling wheelies behind a bus & generally showing off to the same girls when the bus stopped ..... I didn't :doh:
damn girls

·
Is my bike ok?
15,046 Posts
Not bike related...

I was setting the valve lash on my '66 Impala. 350 with a 4 speed. No neutral safety or clutch safety switches...need I continue? Anyway, I was always quite proud how that engine would always spring to life with just a touch of the key. Always kept a close eye on the carb, valves and the timing. So, I'm under the hood of the car with my remote starter switch wired to the starter solenoid and the radio blasting. Which means the ignition was on,obviously. I touch the remote starter to bump the engine to start lashing the valves and she came to life with the 4 speed positioned firmly in first gear. It pushed me to the back wall of the shop. I don't know how long I stood there with the car pushing against my knees lurching and chugging and trying to fold my legs backwards. Luckily, the engine finally stalled and I was scared enough to push 4200 lbs of Christine off of my legs.

If I do ANY work under the hood of ANY car now I put the keys in my pocket. No clue how I didn't destroy my kneecaps that day.

·
V four honda whore
12,494 Posts
HAD TO CHANGE PANTS?

on that note in first grade i seriously sharted

Reactions: n0regret5

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
pretty much Im a Pyro, so the dumbest shit I do in Life involves fire. so one day in the middle of an empty field in a desert I decide Im going to build a fire... next thing I know 3/4 of the field is on fire and
Im trying to figure out how to get it out... eventually after chasing it I get it out... but man that field was burnt up until the day they started building these condos... I coulda went to jail a long time that day but luckilymy neighbors didn't give a fuck about what we did. If that Century old Cactus went up I woulda spent more time in jail than the time for the Arson Charges I was supposed to get. apparently that particular cactus was a state treasure... oh I forgot to mention I was definitely older than 18 when it happened... so Age doesn't factor into stupidity

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rebuilt an engine, split both cases measuring selector forks and other internals, all nee gaskets and seals. Got all the way to putting in second cam sprocket bolt before I dropped it down the side of the chain.
No sump on this engine had to take off head, barrels blah blah and split the bloody cases again.
I am now paranoid of cam sprocket bolts

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
about 13 years old, my older brother had this scooter which was only 50cc but hauled like a much bigger bike.. they used to do burnouts on the front lawn, so one day when no one was home I took the keys and tried it myself. sitting on the seat. so of course all the weight is on the rear and when I grabbed a fistful of throttle the front end went shooting skyward, my hand got pinned to the throttle on full and it dragged me across the driveway into the neighbours' hedge, destroying the licence plate. My brother laughed at me when he got home and I told him. thought he was gonna beat the shit out of me.

another time I had been riding a short time (another over-powered 50cc scooter) and I decided to sit on my other brother's savage LS650 sitting in the shed, when I hopped off I forgot the put the kickstand down and it tipped over onto me. never before had I had to use so much brute strength to lift the fucker back up.

think that would be the last lesson in kickstand troubles but on my first fullsize bike (ok it was a suzuki fxr150 but it did 140km/h) I dropped it about 6 times because I forgot the kickstand. including a few times at various service stations.

while I had that bike I managed to convince a salesman to let me testride a zzr1100, took it for a serious blast up the local back road and when I turned around to take it back I got the front wheel stuck in a ditch. took about 20 minutes of rocking back and forth trying to get the front wheel out of the rut, all the while with both feet barely touching the ground on an uneven surface AND grass.

vfr400r nc24, forgot to kick the stand fully up and the killswitch had been removed.. went through a chicane and when I took the left it wouldn't turn so i drove straight into an island garden, destroying half the fairings. I later skidded out at a green light because some asshole had done a diesel dump the night before, and the local council had dumped gravel to cover it. finally wrote off that bike speeding through 5pm traffic and not being able to stop in time for the little suzuki hatchback in front of me, leaving the bike halfway under the car and chucking me off into oncoming traffic.

turning the TLs around on a hill and dropping it.

parking up on the side of the road between towns on the GN cafe racer and dropping it into a ditch because my foot slipped on gravel, smashing my brand new bar end mirror and snapping the clutch lever.. riding without any clutch until the next town

racing a mate on a Vrod and me on a cbr250rr and overcooking the corner and dropping it, snapping the shifter and having to shift by hand the entire way back on a 30 minute ride.. got that one on video

etc etc hahahaha

·
☢
5,596 Posts
got married
hahaha

what about dumb things you knew were going to go badly, still did them, and got the result you were expecting?
I was demoing an office building (high winds knocked it down mid construction). decided we needed more room in the dumpster, so I hopped in with a chain saw to cut the trusses down more.
stood on a truss, thought "If I cut this, my foot is going to go right into the bar", cut the truss, foot slid into the chain, cut my shoe and sock and missed my foot.
I put the saw down after that and just stayed in the skidsteer.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
We've got a 'saw stop' on the main table saw at the Hack Factory. I've set it off 3 times (which I think is a shop record) in the 2 or so years we have had it. Each time I gotta pay $100 to replace the blade and mechanism. Hey, at least I fess up, and keep the saw blade sharp for everybody else!

First time, I was done cutting and when to do some measurements... on the saw table. My (metal) ruler touched the side of the still spinning blade. Guess what, saw stop triggers even when motor isn't on.

Second time, I was cutting wood that had some charred areas on it. Guess what, charred wood conducts electricity.

Third time I was just stupidly impatient, and grabbed the crosscut fence somebody left on the saw... which was made of aluminum, and set for one of the other saws that has more space between groove and blade. Guess what, pushing aluminum into the sawblade triggers the stop.

The really stupid part is there's a very-nearly as nice saw next to that one that does not have a saw stop. I've NEVER hurt myself on a table saw (grew up with one in my basement), so should just use the 'less safe' machine all the time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts