Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I came across an 05 gsxr 600 with 15k miles,
In good shape some of the plastics have scuffs and a crack, chain needs replacing soon, and has no title. He's in a state where you don't need a title but knows he original owner that has the title and is asking $400 for the title.

The guy told me he would take $1800 for the bike without the title, what would you guys value a bike like that at?

Thanks,
Spencer

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
The original owner that has the title to the bike is asking $400 to hand over the title to the bike he no longer has possesion of? That sounds fishy.

I would do a DMV check and only pay the person who is currently listed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah in Tennessee you only need a bill of sale and I think the original owner was going to use the title on a custom bike he built from parts

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
That sounds not only %100 illegal as all hell, but also it sounds like someone's trying to scam someone. I would get with the BMV of that particular state and ask them about BOS requirements for getting the title to a bike. Chances are it's going to be an issue if the original owner is using the original title for something else. Which is also illegal. I'd say $1000 for the bike and get the title from the original owner. or at least knock him down a few hundred to offset cost for title. But you definitely want to try and get them both together to verify VIN on bike and title. Don't get one and assume the other is correct.

OOOORRRRRR you can just back away/run away as fast as possible. Sounds like a big ole' headache that may not even be worth it. I do not and will not ever buy a bike without a title. Just too many issues involved. I have bought bikes with open titles to the previous owner of the guy I'm dealing with, but that seems to be a gamble sometimes as well.

definitely get well versed in state laws pertaining to the issues you've come into.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
if you were to buy it and get it registered without the title and the person with the title registers it you will be completely fucked. or if they take the title and report it stolen you again would be completely fucked

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
750 fo sho. Strip the front end plastics off, mount the headlight closer to the forks, and get new tail pieces and you've got a good bike down to ride. Stock tail is IMHO the best looking tail to use on a streetfighter. I love it. Oh and throw a set of dirty bars on therrrr it'd be good to go. At least for the quick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, they are both at a tow shop. He's got the title and keys on it, he said he tried to start the GSXR 750 once and he said he thinks a wire is broken. He said "it was spinning but not hitting" so I'm guessing he meant it was turning over but not firing.

Anyone have an idea on what might cause that that I could look at when I go look at the bike and see if I can make here fire. I'm not familiar with where the wiring runs on the gsxrs so not sure if there is a specific wire that might be damaged.

He said it was wrecked in the end of august and it was pretty low mileage, the battery is dead now so he's not sure exactly on the mileage

He tole me for the GSXR 750 he would take $1500, I bet I could get it for $1300 and that would be a pretty cheap easy streetfighter build

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bring your own battery to check the mileage. A tow shop could easily attach jumpers to see the mileage. Dead battery excuse is bs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Well in his defense he told me he was leaving for the weekend at 3:30 and I texted him at 3:10 asking about the mileage, I personally wouldn't go get jumper cables to check the mileage when I was about to leave for the weekend lol. Yeah I've got a spare battery I'm gonna take with me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts