Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wiped a wheel down with brake fluid before to strip it but was wondering if there's a better way to get back to aluminum? If not I'm at it again with brake fluid and a wire brush

·
Will have a bike... soon
5,031 Posts
Which would be harder on mounted rubber?
Why are you stripping paint with a tire mounted on the rim? Are you planning on painting it with the tire still on there as well?

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just stripping rubber will be replaced over winter. Not messing with dismounting junk but also don't want to destroy said junk til I have new.

·
Will have a bike... soon
5,031 Posts
Just stripping rubber will be replaced over winter. Not messing with dismounting junk but also don't want to destroy said junk til I have new.
I wouldn't bother, if you strip now, you'll end up getting oxidization on your wheels by the time you get new tires, and that oxidation MAY need to be removed prior to primer and paint. It just seems like you're setting yourself up for more work in the long run.

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't bother, if you strip now, you'll end up getting oxidization on your wheels by the time you get new tires, and that oxidation MAY need to be removed prior to primer and paint. It just seems like you're setting yourself up for more work in the long run.
Not painting. Getting to aluminum polishing and clearcoating. I don't care if I get a little clearcoat on the rubber. Also don't care about inside of wheel so not dismounting tires especially since I'm trying to build out of a 8x10 Tourette's shed and need a rolling bike as much as possible.

·
I R smart.
562 Posts
I painted mine with brand new tires on them. go to your local department store and get some index cards, deflate the tire and stick the cards in between the rim and tire, may take a little effort though, and then do the clearcoat. And I also agree with using either aircraft paint stripper or B12 chemtool. the brake fluid leaves a residue behind that ends up screwing up the paint job, doesn't evaporate like aircraft and B12 do. and both of them work way way faster than brake fluid.

Should look like this when you are done. It's my quick fix, and I used plastic fusion paint.

A before and after shot.

Came out fine, no red showing or anything.

Before

After

1 - 11 of 11 Posts