Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I look at bikes anywhere and everywhere I go, and all I see (at least in this area) is cruisers. When I'm out riding (or driving) all I see is cruisers, Harleys, whatever I can't tell the difference and none of them wave. I've stopped waving at them. Typically they all have handlebars above shoulder level, braided things hanging off the bike everywhere, and highway pegs that could probably get your foot caught in the front wheel. Very rarely I see a BMW GS all decked out for the Dakar, maybe a street triple or FZ. There's also the squids from time to time with their R1s riding like "look at me, not givin a F" purposely breaking traffic laws and then complaining that the "cagers are all out to get them". Duh.

I never see anything close to resembling a fighter. I know there's got to be more people out there that want to have something different. I've thought about checking out some local bike night type things but that really isnt my style because I don't like to mingle and chat, I like to ride or talk tech until I know somebody pretty well, then I might be genuinely interested in how your wife and kids are doing. I'm also not at all into the "biker" culture, I don't like classic rock and I don't like looking like I'm trying to be part of a tough guy gang. There's a few "biker" clubs here, including 1% like sons of silence.
I requested an invite to the Denver Ducati club since I bought my 749 but never got a reply. Guess they didn't like my answers to the questions they ask before you can submit your request. Telling them my other bike is a '92 streetfighter probably sealed my fate. Either that or the fact I've only been riding for a little over a year now.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I'm just kinda frustrated with the motorcycle "culture" and I kinda like you guys so I thought I'd ask the question. I realize not everyone has the skills to build their own bike, but I figured there would be more fighters out there.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
If you don't seek out exposure to huge numbers of bikes, you won't see the rare breeds. But what's cool is when you do hit those bike nights, you can usually find one with niche apeal. Locally we have at least 7 different monthly bike nights I know of, and I've only been to two of em. Each one had about 100 bikes, and of those 200, maybe one or two were street fighters. But a solid 25 percent were cafe racers, and another 25 percent were vintage Japanese restorations, and less than 10% were cruisers. Why? Because I went to smaller niche events run by shops that specialize in builds like that.

The bikes you want to see ain't gonna just come ride beside you on the highway by magic, you gotta go out and find em.

And also... no, there's really not that many people out there who want to be different. 99% of the people in the world just want to be cool in the exact same way as all thier peers are trying to be. That's why HD does so well selling 31 flavors of bandana flavored cruiser. It's why replica racers sell. Something that actually looks different.... nope, that's the last thing most folks want.

I'm not especially social, so sometimes I just go to a bike night or show, look around, take some pics, and leave, without talking to anybody. Dont worry about not fitting in or socializing, you are there for the bikes, not the company. Social media bullshit has put WAY to much influence in the hands of people who care about 'culture'.

Recently I started trying group rides through a sport bike forum, seems a good way to go. They are a lot of fun to ride with, and take riding safety pretty seriously (if you ignore the fact they might be ripping down country roads pushing 3 digits) and care more about having fun and going fast than what you ride or wear. I am gonna miss thier monthly meetup (camping with wife and kid) but they have a stunting group at each meet up, and I bet there would be a couple fighters as well.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I see a lot of the "fighters" here. Bikes that have been down and the owners just ripped everything off and threw on whatever light the found and call it a custom bike. Then they look at my bike and ask why. Every now and then I see them, but its mostly cruisers and squids. We have a couple of pretty large 1% groups around here. but as long as you don't mess with them, they leave you alone.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Never see any fighters on the road cuz they all look like this or worse lol.

I think that pretty much nails it. How many members here do you know actually have a rideable bike? There's a few but it's pretty thin pickings. Pretty much the reason the "Take a photo of a landmark and your bike" type threads fall over pretty quick. :D

Also as you said, they want to be different and don't follow peer pressure, pretty much makes fighter builders unlikely to be in clubs or attend bike meets on a regular basis. I've often thought how it's pretty weird how few of us on CF know each other IRL, hardly anyone has close buddies who are also members.

This place always reminds of that Bill Hicks sketch (NWS audio):

In a nice way, of course.

As for bike meets. Meh, i've tried, they suck. I went to a huge one (10,000 bikes) recently. I just came away angry. Just middle aged fat poser accountants on Ducatis or other fair weather bikers. And doing what? You can't drink, since you have to ride home again, there was no real music (i heard later one of the pubs might have had a band), a couple of burger vans and some static displays of vintage bikes. I didn't see a single person /bike i wanted to talk to.

I came away saying i should set up my own, it would be in a field with free camping, live band playing crappy covers. Loud. And a bar. BYO booze is encouraged though. Farm track / field is available for anyone wanting to goof around on their bikes and willing to crash them.

Families are not encouraged per se, noise and danger is, if you are happy for your family to do that, props and welcome. A strict gate policy of: if your bike is newer than 5 years, you aren't welcome, if you spent more than £5k on it, you aren't welcome, you didn't build it / part of it / can't name the part i'm pointing to, then you aren't welcome, if i don't like your face / attitude you aren't welcome. Also, maybe a burn-out or wheelie might be required before entrance is granted if i'm not sure on you / your bike. "Kids" on shitty motocross bikes / scooters are welcome. Crash damaged bikes are welcome. Never been to a meet before / not in a club, welcome. Is your bike dirty? Welcome. BBQs, the shitty tin-foil ones you buy in the supermarket, are welcome, and likely the only source of food. Bonfires are welcome. Like a bit of party? Welcome.

Sign a waiver at the gate, then go have fun. Toilets are behind that bush.

The poster would feature this guy:

And someone throwing up.

Basically, i'm saying i want to get drunk in a field with a bunch of teenagers on scooters, and some guys in a band...... wait...... i'm not sure about how that sounds.....

Anyway, i'd do it, except i hate dealing with people. :D

That said, i'm going to a Streetfighter event in London this weekend. Maybe. It's supposed to piss it down. We'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The closest things ive seen to fighters out here are stunters. theres a lot of race bikes that are 'track use only' and then the ones that you shouldn't even think about riding (rotten brake lines to the Teflon core, 10 yr old tires with a nail in them, ect.)

See a lot of cruisers/fair weather riders/too much leather with the price tag on and not a spec of dirt or grease so my 'wave is always a variant of this :rock: because it can quickly become :fu: if need be.

Always love the looks at stop lights (since we can lane split) wish I had a camera half the time.

p.s. been to a couple bike meets with the wife. Harley/cruiser guys can be nice, interested in why and what ive done to the bikes but still never seen another 'fighter'
that field party sounds like a good time tho

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks cookie, guess I'm just new to this scene and figured there would be more people that like to ride and mess with their bikes instead of all these people that apparently have a bike as a lifestyle accessory.

10,000 bikes? That's crazy.
Good luck with the streetfighter event. Didn't streetfighters start with you guys anyway? I thought there was a bunch in the UK.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I have few buddies that a fighterers. U just gotta convince ur sportbike friends to go naked.... or force them into by knocking their bike Over and ruining their plastic

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess when I think about it it's not really about the bike but the mindset, I think far too many people just take what's given to them instead of making something the way they want it. I poked around gixxer.com and gsxr.com when I first got my GSXR but I got bored fast because it's either some guy with two posts wanting his bike fixed immediately or the crusty old guys that won't help you until you're one of the fold. I've stayed with this site because people are helpful and way more knowledgable, even for new guys, and pretty much everyone here wants their bike to be better or different and aren't afraid to get after it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah there's TONS of good info 'round here Ive been pretty fortunate on the specific forums but Ive always had specific bikes IE TLr Rc51 Z1000 919 ect ect not gsxr and cbr R1 stuff those guys are usually the "hey look at me crowd" similar to the harley "buy a biker" guys, old school harley guys Ive actually found to be quite cool its the asshole with the brand new leathers with harley logos everywhere and the cleanest bike you've ever seen with a brand new first tattoo those guys suck. I think the bikes Ive had have a rare cult like following which nets you some cool peeps much in the same way this site draws people that aren't into mainstream bikes or thoughts on riding. I don't see many round here either, once in a while I see a 900rr with gold wheels and a 1000rr tail section riding around but that my old bike any way lol.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Good luck with the streetfighter event. Didn't streetfighters start with you guys anyway? I thought there was a bunch in the UK.
So the legend goes, but you nailed it really: Streetfighters isn't a bike, it's a mindset.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I think that's it. ^^^ To see a fighter you have to find it in its natural habitat.

A: in bits being built/ rebuilt/ redesigned, etc.

B: sneaking around on roads less traveled where you can ride like you want to.

We've all been there. Back road, no other traffic, letting it all hang out, then.... "SHIT! Civilians! Fuck... gotta behave now... " that's when you slow from 80mph down to about 35, and upshift about 3 gears while braking heavy. All the while your bike is like " you're doing it wrong, bro. "

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
You think you see a lot of cruisers? Try living in Milwaukee. Every 5 years when Harley does the big anniversary party you're lucky to go 10 minutes without seeing or hearing one of the overweight underpowered noisemakers. I don't even go to local shows anymore because it's all Harleys. There may be 300 bikes there but when 250 of them look the exact same it's almost not worth going. Haha

1 - 20 of 46 Posts