Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Will Tig For Food
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the game for a hot minute and can't believe the prices on bare engines on fleabay right now, say 1400 for a K2 Zook with not so much as a starter? WTF

Anybody want to tell me where the deals are now on complete pullouts because 5 years ago the same thing with a cdi, injectors, etc, basically a complete pullout with ecm was less than that.

Are squids just not squidding now? Seriously I'm at a loss. Normally I try to get a complete bike but came across a decent SRAD 1000 minus the engine and have always seen people upgrade to the K5-K8 and thought that would be the ticket but I've got sticker shock now

Help?

·
Super Moderator
5,660 Posts
So it's a global issue then... been trying to scout for unfinished projects or abandoned barn finds to fix n flip but the asking prices for even the rattiest POS bangers are so high there's practically no meat left on the bone to make any of them worth my while. Another thing is this new phenomenon called trading price! So you're asking a ridiculous price for your junk as is, good luck trying to explain to me how the value suddenly goes up even more if a trade is being done instead of a straight deal...

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
When I was looking for a parts bike for my KZ build I was amazed. Some guy was asking over a grand for a bike that had been sitting outside so long that the wheels where half sunk in the ground but all it needed was a good carb cleaning. Unfortunately people are getting dumber and too lazy to haggle so it's driving prices up

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Will Tig For Food
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it's a global issue then... been trying to scout for unfinished projects or abandoned barn finds to fix n flip but the asking prices for even the rattiest POS bangers are so high there's practically no meat left on the bone to make any of them worth my while. Another thing is this new phenomenon called trading price! So you're asking a ridiculous price for your junk as is, good luck trying to explain to me how the value suddenly goes up even more if a trade is being done instead of a straight deal...
I'm in BFE Kentucky my dude, believe me, the barter at inflated prices is a struggle I know well where every hillbilly think their shit's golden and I ride them for a few months and flip 'em so I have to watch the budget, or sit on it til I find somebody that know's what it's worth and then you're stuck waiting for the next project

When I was looking for a parts bike for my KZ build I was amazed. Some guy was asking over a grand for a bike that had been sitting outside so long that the wheels where half sunk in the ground but all it needed was a good carb cleaning. Unfortunately people are getting dumber and too lazy to haggle so it's driving prices up

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Spot on, had a guy trying to sell me a 78 Kawi 650 with the 1100 gpz swap in ROUGH shape for over a grand. I passed.

I bought a 2nd gen B12 a couple years ago that needed tuned, stator cover, and fairings from a nice low side and had to sit on it for almost a year to get 3200 and double up and it only had 14k pluse was a 2 owner.

I thought parts would be cheaper now that the bobby is getting bigger :nuts:

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Cafe Racer TV drove up the prices of all the vintage bikes and the growing "street fighter" scene drove up the prices of crashed/abused/neglected/stripped sport bikes.

·
Will Tig For Food
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that the cafe fad has definitely affected the cool old stuff I used to love, but this is getting ridiculous IMO

I decided to go back to school and I usually turn out a few bikes to help ends meet, maybe I'll just start strippin' in the evenings

·
Will Tig For Food
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i buy all the oil cooled suzuki stuff/ kz and cb stuff i can get my hands on. Some day it's going to pay off big time
I'm starting to think that myself UF. But, then again, I had to deal with some 20 year old asshat that wants 1500 cash on a 1st gen B12 with a clutch going out and 39k on it.

I just try and be patient and watch copart and craigslist.

For real, I'm having to go to Memphis 3.5hrs away to meet a guy who has a clean K6 1K roller next week.

There is good news though, talked to our backwards ass state's dmv today and I can mfg custom tube frames and get them assigned VIN's pretty damn easily, just good luck titling shit that's not 25 years old.

I have an LLC so really the liability if some squid makes the worst happen on my stuff isn't too bad, but it does make me nervous y'all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Be known as the bike hoarder in your area, it pays off eventually. Just picked up a nice sv650 for cheap, because a friend called and knew I would be interested. Problem is storage and selling parted bikes.

·
Will Tig For Food
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be known as the bike hoarder in your area, it pays off eventually. Just picked up a nice sv650 for cheap, because a friend called and knew I would be interested. Problem is storage and selling parted bikes.
I work out of a single that a fab in for cash too, so space is at a premium. Due to past problems with "collecting", I'm not limited to one project at a time, but I did negotiate that I can have as many running bikes as I can muster :D

Wish i'd had known my ol' school guy was getting out of it, I'd have shipping containers full of crap then

·
Registered
478 Posts
Then you will struggle. You'll find, though, that there's not as many "shady people" out there as you might think, and it's usually easy to tell who they are. eBay's feedback system is pretty reliable and when you buy from forum members it's pretty easy to buy from established names and be safe. Look up users on google (try it with my username) and see what the internet has to say about them.

There's ways to cover yourself, but you do have to accept a certain level of risk inherent to the process. Even buying parts you can lay your own eyes on is hardly foolproof.

·
Will Tig For Food
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then you will struggle. You'll find, though, that there's not as many "shady people" out there as you might think, and it's usually easy to tell who they are. eBay's feedback system is pretty reliable and when you buy from forum members it's pretty easy to buy from established names and be safe. Look up users on google (try it with my username) and see what the internet has to say about them.

There's ways to cover yourself, but you do have to accept a certain level of risk inherent to the process. Even buying parts you can lay your own eyes on is hardly foolproof.

Very true. I am that asshat that brings a set of mics, calipers, and bore gauges though. Not to mention a compression gauge.

Trust me, right about now I'm kicking myself in the balls for not buying something that at least runs

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
i buy all the oil cooled suzuki stuff/ kz and cb stuff i can get my hands on. Some day it's going to pay off big time
I have gsxr frames from 3 continents and only 1 motor now.

supply and demand dictates prices. supra and evo are the case and point. cbx and c3 vettes are starting to rise.

probably another decade until the 80's stuff is worth good $$.

copart sucks. well the fees do. they have a bunch of good deals but by the time you pay fees its not much of a deal anymore. plus if it's salvage title, you go thru enhanced inspection $$$$. Plus you are buying something with a questionable history.

I've always lucked out with CL and word of mouth. I've made well over 10fold in profit just constantly hunting for deals. Tho if you add the time I spend on CL, I'm probably in the negative ha

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
searchtempest.com

craigslist search engine. Just enter your zip code and how many miles out from there. select motorcycles... type in what motorcycle you're looking for.

Sometimes it misses stuff and you may want to do a few actual craigslist searches of different areas. But then again. it can be useful even if only just to show you what the next nearest craigslist is.

·
Will Tig For Food
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
searchtempest.com

craigslist search engine. Just enter your zip code and how many miles out from there. select motorcycles... type in what motorcycle you're looking for.

Sometimes it misses stuff and you may want to do a few actual craigslist searches of different areas. But then again. it can be useful even if only just to show you what the next nearest craigslist is.
I use the search nearby areas function.

That gets me up to three hours away and like I said, I'm not a fan of buying sight unseen

I just need to stop bitching about driving 3 hours one-way. That does piss me off though and shit is becoming more scarce.

Joining a few FB groups has paid off. Great leads from reputable sellers.

I appreciate the tips guys. my old ass needed to change with the times I suppose

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yea ive let a lot of good deals pass by because of the drive. then it sells quickly and i regret not making the call... but then sometimes you drive 3 or 4 hours to see a shitbox and turn right back around. that'll take the wind out of your sails real fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts