Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how you learn about machining parts? I would love to learn, but don't really know where to go to learn!

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
I'd start at your local technical trade school or local college. They have to have a class or two.

I've never seen one that doesn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey bro i went to TAFE and did a pre employment course it took 10 weeks and you do lathe work, milling machine, surface grinding treading taping and learn all sorts of usefull stuff and its equvelent of the first year apprentice training for fitter or machinist

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
thats cool shit. i'd be interested to do somthing like that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
DCRANKS said:
hey bro i went to TAFE and did a pre employment course it took 10 weeks and you do lathe work, milling machine, surface grinding treading taping and learn all sorts of usefull stuff and its equvelent of the first year apprentice training for fitter or machinist
Where is TAFE?

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I am going to Pennsylvania College of Technology for the Manufacturing engineering bachelors of science program. of course manufacturing things out of metal is what I want to do for the rest of my life so its a good investment of 4 (or 5) years.

however, you can also get an associates degree in automated toolmaking. this would teach you all basic manual machining practices with lathes, mills, surface grinders, turret lathes, screw machines and miscalanious other tools and also basic CAD/CAM work, cnc programing etc.

then there is the toolmaking technologies certificate. it takes about 9 months of schooling and shows you just the manual machines and how to use them. and just touches on the basics of CNC programing.

and if none of those suit you then you can just look at what classes you want and take just those. mill basics, and lathe basics are both great classes. this is in central Pennsylvania, but most technical colleges have some form of basic machining couses that you can look into. generally they will be higher priced and longer than the couses at a trade school but they are well worth it.

Reactions: 929_adam

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could enroll into college for this but you should try it out first. I have been machining for over 10 years and have seen alot of people wash out real quick! It ain't easy work you become highly skilled with low pay. Find a machine shop were you live and ask to check it out. See if they could hire you as a newbie and watch how things go. I have worked in mom and pop shops, big corp shops and now a non for profit place and the only way to make money is to move from shop to shop with pay increases along the way. If you want to know more shoot me a pm and I can give you more info like what to look for in a shop that will teach you!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Local college is a good place to start, but if you havnt got time have a look on ebay for a cheap lathe/milling machine. Small ones Can be got pretty cheap and learn as you go -- hands on is best. Beware -- you will hurt yourself!

Ceri

·
2 Posts
DCRANKS said:
is that a uk course??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts