Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious what anyone has for background info??

i think i know where, but id like to know where and why? specifically.

·
NorthEast Streetfighters
473 Posts
with anything people like to drive ride whatever they also want to customize.. im thinking its just a nother way to be unique and it depends what kind of streetfighter your talking about cause europe has a completley differant version from what u or i like

·
Registered
387 Posts
My 2cents...

Definately Europe.

Basically a Streetfighter is just a bike that's been modified to the owners personal taste... in which case it probably originates from the 50's and 60's with the cafe' racer, or possibly even before that.

As far as the streetfighter as we know it? I guess that would be the introduction of the Japanese fours in the 70's/80's, with bikes such as the Honda CB750, Kwaka Z900, Suzuki GS750/1000, etc.

Ofcourse you would have to mention 1985 with the release of the GSXR750 which pretty much paved the way for bikes as we know them today, including the GSXR1100 introduced in 1986 which arguably would be the most popular 'Streetfighter'.

Oops, maybe that was 10cents.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i agree in europe.....but i have a feeling it first came about out of necessity. the roads suck over there. the drivers suck over there. so basically if you have a bike, its going to get mashed.

people got sick of payin for replacement fairings and the streetfighter was born! :rock:

thats how mine are coming to be anyway! LOL!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Origins

The "modern" naked bike trend (as the first motorcycles could be classified as naked bikes as well) started in Europe, during the late 1980s. At that time, sportbikes, especially Suzuki's GSX-R, were popular all over the continent. However, the relatively high speed and acceleration of these motorcycles, coupled with the unstable (compared to today) suspension and frame components used, resulted in many crashes in which the bike's plastic fairings were superficially damaged. Because these fairings were expensive to replace, many began to strip them off altogether, resulting in the first Streetfighter. European manufacturers were quick to catch on, and 1993 Ducati created the first production naked bike, the Monster. Others soon followed:
Aprilia Tuono1000r
BMW K1200R
BMW R1150R Rockster
Ducati Monster (600, 1000, S2R, S4R)
Honda CB600, CB900F (Hornet), 919, 599
Kawasaki 750
Kawasaki ZRX Series (Z-Rex)
Suzuki Bandit (650, 1200)
Suzuki SV (650/650S, 1000)
Triumph Speed Series (Triple 1000, Four 600)
Yamaha FZ (600, 1000)

*taken from wiki pedia:party-smiley:

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
This question will be the next "what is the best wheelie bike".

lol Everyone will ask it once. I heard a really cool story a few years back, I'll have to try and find it, it's about the ace cafe and some other shit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, Fighters originated in France I believe. The frogs have a wicked sense of "ugly is beautifull". Ever seen some of Lazurus' creations? Truly awe inspiring.

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,147 Posts
I think you should all know that Streetfighters originated in the UK in the early eighties, Performance Bikes, back then allways had a tricked out Katana, or GS1100 on there back page, but it wasnt untill, back street hero's a another british bike mag, ran owners specials, heavly influenced by the performance bike specials, the Term Streetfighter, was born, streetfighters didnt really, fit with back street heroes, being primaryly a chop orientated mag, and so they released Streetfighter Magazine, basicly the same staff and writers, more or less, but more atuned to the Streetfighter GENRE.
and another Magazine was AWOL, Im sure without these publications streetfighters wouldnt exist.

British bikers were customising and changing engines and frames, back in the 50's and 60,s for example the Norvin....a vincent, in a Norton featherbed frame, and the ledgendary, combo, triton, Triumph, powered norton, but theses bikes were known as Cafe Racers. because the rockers, that road these bikes would hang out at cafe's and drink coffee, till the early mornings, the ACE cafe, is still open, and has been more or less in the same place for 60 years, and still has a regular turn out of the bikes, everyday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Britjoe said:
I think you should all know that Streetfighters originated in the UK in the early eighties, Performance Bikes, back then allways had a tricked out Katana, or GS1100 on there back page, but it wasnt untill, back street hero's a another british bike mag, ran owners specials, heavly influenced by the performance bike specials, the Term Streetfighter, was born, streetfighters didnt really, fit with back street heroes, being primaryly a chop orientated mag, and so they released Streetfighter Magazine, basicly the same staff and writers, more or less, but more atuned to the Streetfighter GENRE.
and another Magazine was AWOL, Im sure without these publications streetfighters wouldnt exist.

British bikers were customising and changing engines and frames, back in the 50's and 60,s for example the Norvin....a vincent, in a Norton featherbed frame, and the ledgendary, combo, triton, Triumph, powered norton, but theses bikes were known as Cafe Racers. because the rockers, that road these bikes would hang out at cafe's and drink coffee, till the early mornings, the ACE cafe, is still open, and has been more or less in the same place for 60 years, and still has a regular turn out of the bikes, everyday.
Very true! Wasn't there a thread about cafe racers a while back?

·
British Rider
216 Posts
Britjoe said:

year dead right m8 we brits invented fighters
i allways thought the cafe racers started it all but were they just a sepperat phase

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ab420 said:
Hmm, what does America get to claim? Chromed-out 'Busa's? :wtf: :nuts: :LolLolLolLol:

or harleys!! :LolLolLolLol: . . . wait we dont wanna claim that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
ab420 said:
We can claim Indian Motorcycles!
But it took a Kiwi to get them going half decent!!!:LolLolLolLol:

Sorry but you're stuck with the Harleys cause noone else is gonna take them:D

·
Registered
387 Posts
One of New Zealand's contributions...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.