1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Northern Neighbour
429 Posts
I support local shops, or they won't be there much longer...or sell the shit i want to kill time on sundays looking at. :D

I paid an extra $50 for my lid at a retail store.....im cool with that.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
All my gear was bought through local shops.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meh, I have a less favorable opinion of local shops. How far do you go in supporting them? When you loose a fairing bolt do you go to them an let them charge you $13? (I almost did that when I first started riding) Its just $12.50 more than its worth... whats a measly $12.50? The trouble is its rape of the wallet.

I'd be much more inclined to support local shops if they offered things at a more reasonable price. 'Bout the only thing I find them good for is to supply local riders with brand new bikes to wreck for me to fighter:blbl:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Candyman said:
Meh, I have a less favorable opinion of local shops. How far do you go in supporting them? When you loose a fairing bolt do you go to them an let them charge you $13? (I almost did that when I first started riding) Its just $12.50 more than its worth... whats a measly $12.50? The trouble is its rape of the wallet.

I'd be much more inclined to support local shops if they offered things at a more reasonable price. 'Bout the only thing I find them good for is to supply local riders with brand new bikes to wreck for me to fighter:blbl:

Well, I don't go to bitch ass shops that charge $13 for a bolt. Find a good shop and you'll be a lot happier than ordering your shit over the internet.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haelo said:
Well, I don't go to bitch ass shops that charge $13 for a bolt. Find a good shop and you'll be a lot happier than ordering your shit over the internet.

Trust me, been lookin for years...

·
KNUCKLE UP
209 Posts
I support my local shop also but, when he can't get what I need. My next is either kneedraggers.com or imotorcyclestore.com

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
I'd like to say I support local shops, but when they sell a jacket for $800 while newenough sells it for $350, my support goes right to my pocket.

I understand that if no one buys local, they will go away, not true in this case since most dealerships make their profit from the bikes. When they do sell gear, they sell to the guy that just got a $13000 loan to get his first bike, the noob friendly Gixxer1000. So what's an extra thousand for a hemet and trendy new jacket with Suzuki logos on it.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I don't buy gear from dealerships I buy it from real shops, and not that cycle gear shit. I got my leathers for $200, my gloves for $20, and my boots for $75. New enough would have been 600, 50, and 120 for equivalent gear.

You just gotta find the right shop.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
haelo said:
I don't buy gear from dealerships I buy it from real shops, and not that cycle gear shit. I got my leathers for $200, my gloves for $20, and my boots for $75. New enough would have been 600, 50, and 120 for equivalent gear.

You just gotta find the right shop.
That can be difficult for some of us who live in less populated areas.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
haelo said:
Yeah but I can't say Normal, Illinois is a good place to buy motorcycle gear.

We have 1 motorcycle dealer in town and one "shop". The "shop" has comparable pricing as the dealer. He also charges $35 to mount and balance tires for you if you didn't buy them from him ($15 more than the dealer), which seems kinda high. It doesn't bother me though because I can do it myself.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
$35 isn't the worst I've heard. I do $10 a tire if it's one tire or $15 for two at a time. More if I have to take them off for someone.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
ravenfz1 said:
We have 1 motorcycle dealer in town and one "shop". The "shop" has comparable pricing as the dealer. He also charges $35 to mount and balance tires for you if you didn't buy them from him ($15 more than the dealer), which seems kinda high. It doesn't bother me though because I can do it myself.

You're bitching about $35???!!!! That is cheap here. All the dealers charge $80 if you bring the bike, $45 wheel only.

The mom and pop shop I used to work for was $40 on bike, $20wheel only, ONLY if you buy through them.

$50 bike, $35 off. If you bring your own tires.

The local Cycle Gear charges $20 but you have to take the wheel off.

The cheapest dude in town is a buddy of mine. He charges $20 across the board.

As for places I buy from. It depends. I get a lot of stuff through work cause I get it at cost. Most of my gear is odd stuff that people don't typicly carry. My Helmet for example I bought direct from Simpson and my jacket is custom made. My next helmet is going to be a Euro only lid so it's coming from ebay.

I deffinatly recomend finding a good local shop though. If you're regularly in there and become a good customer they will USUALLY try and help you out after a little while. Most of them are regular people like you and me trying to earn a buck. They don't get all the corperate hook ups like the national chains. SO they rely on keeping a good customer base.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts