Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my bike a little over a year ago for a pretty decent price being as the bike was salvaged. I rode around all last season with some amazingly busted up fairings until I finally caved in and bought one of those fairing kits from eBay. Let me tell you, those high school kids are savage shit talkers, and that little bike was getting some words crammed down its tailpipe. It took ages for the fairing kit to arrive and I never had the chance to fit them to my bike due to a pretty wicked turn of events. Long story short, I tried fitting them a few days ago and I was amazed that someone could butcher a mold that bad. The mounting and turn signal holes were a good 5 or 6 inches off, and the tail fairings were so long the seat wouldn't mount. So basically I have $450 worth of cheap plastics that I can't do a thing with, so why not just build a streetfighter?

I've already stripped off the old plastics, removed the headlight bracket, and dropped a dope slip-on on there. I'm now lost though. How do I mount up my old cluster, or do I get a new one? If so what's recommended? What's a reliable brand of streetfighter headlight to go with? I see them all over eBay for $30-40 and it makes me skeptical. How do I mount my front turn signals? How do I get those mounting tabs off the tank? Where do I get a radiator guard? What to do about the side coolant reservoir, paint it, new one? Cable management? Hahah, these questions are why I haven't been riding lately, this is somehow extremely stressful and its hard trying to buy parts when I don't even know where to go next. Thanks in advance! :rock:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, I've actually done a little reading around. I've decided on the LSL MT-03 headlight, but I just need to figure out how to mount it seeings as the ignition unit is right in the way. For the cluster, I was looking at the Koso RX-2, anyone on here have one installed? Is it worth it, or should I find a cheaper alternative?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Lmk if interested in selling the body work, oem or Chinese u just bought. May have some useful fighter parts for trade too

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Shit Dr.J, give the dude some advise while you negotiate a deal. Lol

Shit

I would start with dirt bars. I hate the stock handle bars on these. Many threads around on how to do that. You will need longer brake line and possibly throttle cables and clutch cable.

Dyno/tune the bike on the exhaust and filter. Supposedly will make it much better off idle. I haven't picked mine up from the dyno yet, I'll let u know how it goes on my next track day

I would also look into tank swap which should be easy considering the tank/frame design. I just don't like this tank naked

Google custom overflow bottle, you'll find what u need on how to move the coolant bottle

Decide on what tail u want. Then let us know and we might be able to help.

Im redoing my forks and shock soon as they are super squishy. Racetech make everything u need, then u just follow the service book to take apart and rebuild them.

Headlights mounts can be made or bought, I'm not clean enough with my metal working tools to make a decent looking mount so I just eBay Chinese shit that's in the size I need and make mounts from there to work with whatever headlight u want.

I recommend looking at anything other eBay headlights. Look for oem made naked bike lights that will have decent output. Z1000, z750, z125, grom, cbr500f, cbr1000r.

Best advice is to look around the forum and see how others have done it and ideas

I love my 250 but I don't like them when they are given the quick fighter treatment, needs some thought to look good and flow

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,491 Posts
+1 on everything Dr. J said.

I used a single Dominator light on my SV and it worked well. If you are going to ride a lot at night then I'd consider fitting a projector from a car. If you don't mind a large round light then the SV650 OEM light is very nice and usually reasonably priced.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,373 Posts
Shit

I would start with dirt bars. I hate the stock handle bars on these. Many threads around on how to do that. You will need longer brake line and possibly throttle cables and clutch cable.

Dyno/tune the bike on the exhaust and filter. Supposedly will make it much better off idle. I haven't picked mine up from the dyno yet, I'll let u know how it goes on my next track day

I would also look into tank swap which should be easy considering the tank/frame design. I just don't like this tank naked

Google custom overflow bottle, you'll find what u need on how to move the coolant bottle

Im redoing my forks and shock soon as they are super squishy. Racetech make everything u need, then u just follow the service book to take apart and rebuild them.

Headlights mounts can be made or bought, I'm not clean enough with my metal working tools to make a decent looking mount so I just eBay Chinese shit that's in the size I need and make mounts from there to work with whatever headlight u want.

I recommend looking at anything other eBay headlights. Look for oem made naked bike lights that will have decent output. Z1000, z750, z125, grom, cbr500f, cbr1000r.

Best advice is to look around the forum and see how others have done it and ideas

I love my 250 but I don't like them when they are given the quick fighter treatment, needs some thought to look good and flow

Damn good advice right there. I second everything J said

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shit

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post :yeah: hahah, it seems I have a lot to look for now. Honestly I'm jut looking to get back on the streets as soon as possible for now. What parts are you throwing out there? Hit me up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts