Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I've got a Yamaha FZR 750 Genesis 1988. The coils where mounted on the fairing brackets but now they have been taken off i'm stuck where to put them. I thought i could put them under the tank under the air box but i'm not sure weather i need a heat plate to protect them because they would be placed over the radiator hoses. the only other place i can think of is right up front on the frame but i think that would look a bit ugly. The pictures i've looked at of other fighters i cant see where the coils are.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Should be fine under the tank.Tight squeeze is ok as long as the wiring doesn't short out on any metal...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is some pictures of where i'm thinking of putting the coils the first is on the front of the frame. the others are under the tank

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking of just attaching them both together end on end because once they are put in place like on pic 3 and the air box is put in place they won't go nowhere its a real snug fit. I don't think the picture shows properly but the coils are flush with the top of the carbs. I suppose i could still attach them end on end and the other end to the radiator bolt by a single strap. does that sound ok?

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's really easy to convert it to use coil-on-plugs like a modern bike. Take the two wires that feed the oil coil, put a 3k ohm resistor inline, and bam, maintenance free igniton. The best part is you can find a set of 4 sticks on ebay for way less than one new set of plug wires costs. You'll get faster starts and crisper response.

There's a guy on vmaxforum.net that makes these adapter/resistor plugs for Yamaha's so it's totally plug and play.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Not sure, if you want I'll get his email for you. The resistors are only needed for the analog ignitions, the digital ones don't need them. On the Vmax this switch happened for the 1990 model year, I'm not sure about other models. Without resistors, it will fry the analog boxes in about 15 minutes.

The coil sticks are all over ebay...off any modern i4 sportbike, except honda 9xx series (they're much longer and harder to fit). I used a set off a R6 on my Vmax, which came with the sub-harness (so I could cut off the harness plugs for the coils) for $25.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I went back into the Vmax community, apparently they are sold through Sean Morley now. He's kind of the guru of Vmax but he's extremely knowledgeable about Yamaha's in general and very helpful. Sure he would be able to tell you if they would work.

His website is morleysmuscle.com. His email and phone are listed there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts