Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the only real problem that i am having is where to put the regulator on my bike, i thought about moving it to the back, but that would mean i would have to splice the wires to lengthen the starter wires, any ideas would be much appreciated:confused:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If you move the reg/rec unit why would you need to alter the length of the starter solenoid wiring? All you would need to do is to lengthen the 5 or 6 wires that go from the loom into the block connector to the reg/rec. They are usually mounted to the outer face of the subframe etc, this is to allow the air to get to the cooling fins on the heatsink for the unit.

·
639 Posts
while this subject is up, anyone have issues mounting these and getting too much heat off of them. Im going to move mine also, but have been thinking about how hot does this thing really get. No issues wiring, but thinking about something being too close. IE flasher unit or something of that nature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you move the reg/rec unit why would you need to alter the length of the starter solenoid wiring? All you would need to do is to lengthen the 5 or 6 wires that go from the loom into the block connector to the reg/rec. They are usually mounted to the outer face of the subframe etc, this is to allow the air to get to the cooling fins on the heatsink for the unit.
well the thing is it would be easier to lengthen the wires on the starter which is only 2 wires compared to the 5 or 6 on the block connector, i just dont know where to run it, i appreciate the advice but its not really answering my question, my question is where to put it and where to run the wires, thank you for the posts though, but if you could tell me where to run it or any ideas how to simply cover it up it would really help

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
while this subject is up, anyone have issues mounting these and getting too much heat off of them. Im going to move mine also, but have been thinking about how hot does this thing really get. No issues wiring, but thinking about something being too close. IE flasher unit or something of that nature.
The newer style mosfet ones don't get that hot, but the old ones need heat sinked a lot of times...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Firstly.......... what model of bike is it?
secondly.......what do you want to move it for?
thirdly..........where have you got the space available to move it to?

It doesn't matter if it is close to any other components really. Extending the 5 or 6 wires is not a big deal, 1 is an usually an earth, 1 and sometimes 2 are a +12DC out often 1 into the loom and sometimes 1 direct to the battery for charging, 3 of them are the +V, AC from the alternator.
If you extend the wiring to the plug then you can place the reg/rec unit wherever you want or have room to fit it.

·
Fresh Fish
192 Posts

I used a piece of stainless painted one side and left the side I mounted to the rec to raw so it would work like a sink.

I used hit sink paste/gel on the back side and used heat shrink all the way up around the plug so it was sealed because I was a little worried about weather.

·
639 Posts
Its a solid state device, I think the only thing to worry about is having the connections sealed tight. You want it with as much air flowing across as you can with covering it in mud or something. so it doesnt get the air flow.
At least that is what I always thought of it as. Ive seen VFR add heat sink fans just like a computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I used a piece of stainless painted one side and left the side I mounted to the rec to raw so it would work like a sink.

I used hit sink paste/gel on the back side and used heat shrink all the way up around the plug so it was sealed because I was a little worried about weather.
is that under your subframe?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Just stuff the block connector full of petroleum jelly, like vaseline or similar. Or the is a product available which prevents corrosion on battery terminals, it looks like a red grease, I use it on every bike I own, and most customers bikes. clean the terminals up then fill the block connector with it, fitt he connectors together and then wipe off the excess. simple, Once done it lasts for years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.