Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Urban Guerilla
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I joined, I was told to post some pics of the subframe on my '98 Bandit 600 so that maybe you guys could help me figure out what would fit. I finally stripped her down while doing some painting on the faded tailsection plastics. I'm attaching the pics.

I would like something along the lines of a late model Gixxer (the pointier tails), a CBR1000RR, or even a Kawasaki Z1000 tail. The hard part (not really essential, but highly desired) is to maintain the ability to undo the seat and access the cargo area. Another fix for this would be to bolt the seat in, but make a keyed compartment that could be accessed from the bottom.

Please keep in mind that though I don't mind cutting down, welding things on could be a big problem. I don't have the tools and have very little to no practice, and the bike is a daily rider so leaving it somewhere to get welded is a hassle (but doable - I can always rent a car). So I'm looking for the easier swaps.

The tail doesn't have to be any of the ones listed, just giving an idea of what I would ultimately like for the bike. Suggestions welcome!!!
 

Attachments

·
the mad doctor
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
i've done 2 monster swaps on bandits in the last few months, really really easy to do.
 

·
Hawk GT's are Cool
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
looks like you will definately need some welding done seeing that your subframe does not unbolt. The cbr subframe is alot like what you have now in terms of shape. I doubt you would be able to mount the tail without modifactions, but its quite close. Its also a shorter tail, and only goes to about mid front seat. just fyi
 

·
Urban Guerilla
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skr00z, I almost bought the Monster seat last week to do this, but I think it's missing something with it. Maybe I just want some plastic on this thing, lol, but the swaps I've seen usually look unfinished.

sanitys, like I said, I don't mind cutting, but what will I be welding? If we're just talking brackets, I can get that done easily enough. If I need to be doing new tubing, maybe not so easy. I also don't mind the shorter tail, the CBR swap is kind of what I had in mind so if it's doable, I'll see if I can scrounge up the cash. I've seen complete sets (with seats) go for $400 or so.
 

·
Hawk GT's are Cool
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
fotocycle said:
skr00z, I almost bought the Monster seat last week to do this, but I think it's missing something with it. Maybe I just want some plastic on this thing, lol, but the swaps I've seen usually look unfinished.

sanitys, like I said, I don't mind cutting, but what will I be welding? If we're just talking brackets, I can get that done easily enough. If I need to be doing new tubing, maybe not so easy. I also don't mind the shorter tail, the CBR swap is kind of what I had in mind so if it's doable, I'll see if I can scrounge up the cash. I've seen complete sets (with seats) go for $400 or so.
if you want to go the cbr route and want any sort of measurements let me know. looking at the picture of your sub, you might be able to get it to work if you cut the lowest piece of pipe off the underside, and make brackets for the tail. this is just from looking at the pictures, but if you look at my cbr subframe, and your frame, they pretty much have the same shape. Like i said if you want measurements/pictures let me know and ill pm them.
 

·
Urban Guerilla
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sanitys said:
looks like you will definately need some welding done seeing that your subframe does not unbolt. The cbr subframe is alot like what you have now in terms of shape. I doubt you would be able to mount the tail without modifactions, but its quite close. Its also a shorter tail, and only goes to about mid front seat. just fyi
Actually, I just noticed you have a Gixxer subframe for sale, with seats too... and it looks hella easy to do if I were to cut mine off and weld some brackets on. How do you think that that would fit on the Bandit? I'm just thinking here, not yet ready to buy but maybe...?
 

·
Hawk GT's are Cool
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
fotocycle said:
Actually, I just noticed you have a Gixxer subframe for sale, with seats too... and it looks hella easy to do if I were to cut mine off and weld some brackets on. How do you think that that would fit on the Bandit? I'm just thinking here, not yet ready to buy but maybe...?
not sure man, you would have to measure you frame, i have the measurements for my sub, the tail is more than likely already sold, but the sub is still up for grabs. All you would probably need is mounts welded to your frame to accept the gixxer sub.
 

·
Urban Guerilla
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sanitys said:
if you want to go the cbr route and want any sort of measurements let me know. looking at the picture of your sub, you might be able to get it to work if you cut the lowest piece of pipe off the underside, and make brackets for the tail. this is just from looking at the pictures, but if you look at my cbr subframe, and your frame, they pretty much have the same shape. Like i said if you want measurements/pictures let me know and ill pm them.
That would be cool too, thanks. Seems you have similar ideas so your input would be appreciated. But also let me know what you think about the Gixxer tail you have, if that would fit.
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,647 Posts
i have a 929 tail. :D
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,647 Posts
foto...if you dont have welding equipment or experience... you should do one of two things:

1) let someone else weld a new subframe onto your bike. half ass'd welding a bracket on there for the part of the bike that HOLDS YOUR ASS on it, is not a good idea IMO. so if your gonna do that. do some local research. find a good welder, who does bikes! and take it to them. otherwise....


2) modify a tail section to fit on the subframe you have. this way you dont have to cut your subframe off and will more than likely just have to fab up a bunch of brackets from your mounting holes to the tailsections mounting holes. could be a PITA, but could come out well. if you dont have the cash for a whole new tail section, subframe and welding you should start thinking about this.


(i do have a complete sub, tail section, and seats for the 929 ;) )
 

·
Urban Guerilla
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I want to clear up that I would NOT be doing the welding myself :D I have a buddy who's really good, but he's moving to GA soon. If I don't get it in time, I'd go to a shop for this. But simplest is best, as that would be the cheapest. Remember, this is a budget fighter, nothing fancy, lol.

929_adam, if I decided to go the 929 tail route, what would you want for the whole deal, and how well would it fit on the Bandit you think? In terms of how much modding it might need. I'll have to look up the 929 online, but maybe I could do what you say about just fabbing up brackets (like extensions) and might not need the sub.

Are you willing to sell separately? (Again, I can pay for this very soon if I find the right tail, but am not committing to anything just yet, just researchin'!)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top