Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some awesome rides here but my questions is who had built a fighter on the cheap or lower cost, using their smarts and creativity?
Post some expamples please.
Thanks,
brad

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Bike Included, I'm at $2500 Canadian.

Pics are in the links in my signature. In the one that says "Buildoff Blog" there's a list of all the parts costs as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, this is what I was looking for. Let me ask a question that's been asked a million times I'm sure. Whats the best or the better choices as a street fighter platform. Seems older gzxr's are a good starting point. I want to end up with a bike I can rail in the mountains, wheelie at will, and ride for 300 miles if I desire. No, I don't expect long range comfort or wind protection, just something highway worthy with big bike power. Make sense?
I have my '01 FZ1 that I know I could build, but I'm just ready for something different.
brad

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Mine cost about 2700 including bike. There is no "best fighter" platform. You can make anything a nice fighter with some imagination.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand what you are saying. Maybe a better way to ask is: Whats would be a good starting point for a first time builder?
Then again, I'm sure there is a myriad of possibilities.
brad

·
746 Posts
$4000 canadian including bike. Building it up as we speak. Later on im going to splurg some more money into it for gauges, 1000rr forks and a VFR arm but for 4000 it will ride and be as legal im willing to make it.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
oh lord... i'm gonna have to post up pics and cost of some of my old bikes (as soon as i find em :D)

i do love me some dirt cheap builds!

·
98 Posts
If you dont count the custom fiberglass body i made that got thrown out (that was about $400-500 in materials, and a semesters work) then i probably have $3500-4000 into mine (including cost of bike). But i actually sold my old stuff for probably around 2k and still got some odds and ends laying around. So about 1500-2000 total investment.

Temporary rigged up headlight just to get it on the road, had to put the piping round the HID to keep it dry :) Actually, come to think of it, this shot was taken the day i got caught in hail and a whiteout snowstorm on the way into work - that sucked.

when i was building the exhaust (yes i need some stands, no i still dont have any year and half later)

and the body (one of only 4-5 shots i have of it :()

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
My bike is the poster child for off bases for a fighter build. I've seen I think 5 ZX6E fighters ever. I wanted to build a slingshot GSXR really really bad, hell, the frame is in my back yard still, but this bike came along for the right price and things just steamrolled. The best thing you can do to your bike (some will disagree) is to have some sort of goal in mind and be willing to change that plan. My bike isn't EXACTLY the way I pictured it, but you know, at this point, I wouldn't change a damn thing (unless I could make a TL engine fit...)

·
98 Posts
I wouldn't change a damn thing (unless I could make a TL engine fit...)
I want to get a wrecked buell xb and try to fit a TL or RC51 engine in it. :rock: Buells are awesome bikes, but my buddy had one for 3 years and he said that it handled amazingly, but he couldnt stand riding it because the engine vibrated so bad, especially at stops, that it just ruined eveyrthing great about the bike.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I've got about 1500 in mine right now. including the bike and parts that are not yet on there (usd front end and custom tripples). I'll have a couple hundred more before it is finished.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
id start with something 2001+ that way your getting FI plus you can probably get USD forks also. :twocents:

start with what you like. . . look at pics of the dif bikes and see what style strikes you. if your building a fighter pay attention to the frames and stuff.

www.streetfighter.nl -- has millions of pics.

MY build has been pretty cheap thus far...i havent tallied b/c im not done. but my discount at work is HUGE help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. I do like the 7/11s, expecially and actual 7-11. Gixer 750 with 1100 enigne but I don't plan on that. First I have to sell the Fizzy.
Thanks again for all the input guys.
brad

1 - 20 of 38 Posts