Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about keeping the track bike naked and put dirt bars on it, wondering if anyone is been on the track with their fighters. did u feel like it held u back and u wouldve done better if u had fairings and tucked in clipons vs the wide bars

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I had my Gsxr up to 112mph at Putnam Park according to the recall function on the Speedo-Healer.

I never felt like the bars held me back. More like my 6'5" 200lb body that really slowed me. The wind doesn't bother me as the Zrx fairing is the closest thing to full body work that I've had owned/ridden.

Actually, I found my hand resting on the bar ends a lot like I needed wider bars.

Later, Doug

Reactions: DrJellyFingers

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive seen videos of the track i plan on going to with people on the same bike getting 148+ MPH on the long straight

·
Registered
239 Posts
You will lose some speed down the straight, but it'll feel like you are going 300mph with the front of your helmet pressed against your nose from the pressure.

At the most recent track day i did, there was a a guy on a yamaha MT01. He'd crashed on the road, so just stripped off the headlight and dash, and chopped of the cans so it was open headers. Coolest track bike i'd ever seen, not so quick down the straight, but bloody quick through the corners, and plenty of torque to fire it out of the corners.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
think im going with it. dirt bars and dirt bike number plate. u cant pass the first couple times u go anyways. ill see how i feel after i try it.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
I ran my 02 gsxr750 at putnum and nashville with dirty bars. I didn't like it much. I hang off a lot and it just didn't work for me with any of my steering or braking inputs. I felt like it messed with the wieght displacement front to rear also? I know plenty of folks who run nakkid just not me.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
I took the ktm to the track last year at gingerman. I think I was around 105 or 110 on the long straight - top of 6th. I didn't mind it. But I've not had a faired bike for a long time.

Nate

·
Registered
136 Posts
I find the wind pretty harsh at 120mph+ With a full ZX6R fairing if I sit up above it.... but it is concentrated by the fairing I guess?

Friend I went to Cadwell with last year was on a Honda Hornet and was doing 2 minute laps so can't have been slowing him down much!

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
At the most recent track day i did, there was a a guy on a yamaha MT01. He'd crashed on the road, so just stripped off the headlight and dash, and chopped of the cans so it was open headers. Coolest track bike i'd ever seen, not so quick down the straight, but bloody quick through the corners, and plenty of torque to fire it out of the corners.
Wide bars = lots of leverage. I did a trackday on my Supermoto (DR-Z400) at Mallory Park - it's a fairly tight track in places with not too much of a straight. The big bikes pissed all over me on the Start/Finish straight (I was topping out at about 115mph) but I just passed them again in the bends!! One time I went round the outside of an R1 who'd just gone past me on the straight, and then went straight underneath a 'Blade in the same bend!!! I was pissing meself laughing on that lap! :fu: A couple of them got proper pissed off when they found out my bike was only making 36bhp too. :eek:wned:

I'd say, try it with the dirty bars and see how it is. Could you take the clip-ons and change to them on the day if you really hate it? It might be worth missing the last session before lunchtime to do it. Just a thought. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.