Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fighter 4 Christ
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i wanna bend it like beckam! i wanna bend up 7/8 tube for my xs650...it's fightered cause i took off the side panels :shocker:

gonna chop her up. i'm eyeing up the unibender dies for the HF compact bender as in this thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61585&highlight=bender

but has anyone made dies for this? yes i'm cheap. i know there are a few machinists on here...is it as simple as milling steel stock? and how much can this be done for? must it be 150$....yes i'm cheap.

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
I saw that DIY when I was searching a few weeks ago but I don't have a welder... This "I don't have a welder" business is getting old.
You don't strictly need a welder. Make a chock or collar to keep the tube against the brake hub. Use thin-wall tube. Pack it tightly with DRY sand. Use hose caps on the end. Heat it up in a fire. Put it in the chock, and bend away.

Or, alternatively, use thin wall tube, pack it with sand, etc., clamp one end in a vise, heat the beginning of the bend with a torch, put pressure on it 'til it starts to bend, then walk the hot spot down the tube until you're done. If it needs more bend, repeat. (If it needs less bend, start over with a fresh piece.) Just watch out where you put your forearms while bending, or you might lose a large piece of skin from one. (Ask me how I know...)

If you're want to be cheap, you have to be ready to do some weird bullshit to make things work...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts