Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been mentally preparing myself to work on my SV650 to ride it again, but it'll cost me $1000 for just the kliktronic shifter and I have to find someone to duplicate my custom subframe since mine got tweaked in the crash. So I've been dreaming about buying a cruiser, bobbing it, chopping it and building a jockey shifter for it with a built in hand clutch since this curse-ed metal leg will do me no good. I'm gonna have to make my left arm do all the work. It'll only look good on a chopper so that's where I'm at.

I was fucking around with a clutch lever and mountain bike handlebars mocking up a jockey shift but its gonna need to probably be solid bar stock. The parts of this project that I feel are gonna be more challenging are the linkage, cable and fabrication of the shifter arm since it might need to be bent, threaded on the end for a handle/knob and some kind of bracket or !ount to help secure the arm so its not just clamped down on the shift shaft. Plus most cruisers have mid or forward controls with foot boards or whatever that I'd probably have to keep for my prosthetic and for the design of the jockey shift itself.

So can someone help me out here? Jammy Jams I know you probably have a super solid handle on this subject. I'm actually looking at an 01' V Star 650 that has been stripped and just needs a saddle and brake light for $2150 and I think the dude might trade it for an AR15 I got in trade for my oil boiler GSXR 750 project. The bike looks real fucking clean and I want the shifter to match it. Respectively if I end up with a ratty shit kicker of a chopper the jockey shift will probably match it in looks so it won't gave to look that clean, simple or elegant. Thanks in advance.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,276 Posts
I've done one, but I don't have any pics. I used linkage rather than pivoting it right on the shift shaft. Also had a "guide" like a Harley tank shift to keep the shit in line. Clutch was just an mx perch with an ez pull and the clutch lever faced up

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
I'll look into what kind of assembly they have and we'll figure something out.

One way or another I'll build you something so you can ride the beast.

The clutch lever/jockey combo is usually simple to build. And Craig hit it right on when he mentioned a gate to keep things inline. There's a lot of vibration on them sometimes and they can pop a gear. :rock:

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's exactly what I was wondering! A guide, that makes perfect sense and its as simple as can be. What would be the benefit of attaching the shift lever to linkage rather than directly to the shift shaft? Location of mounting points just make a direct amount to the shift shaft implausible? Jam that's awesome dude thanks for looking out. So how sketchy was it really shifting with one of these with the clutch lever mounted to it? To me it seems like the safest option. Its the only option for me but I never had problems with riding with my hands off the bars, but especially just the left hand, and it's momentary. I think with the right riding position and angles of the bars and shifter, it wouldn't be sketchy at all. Then again I don't have any first hand experience. Thank you for the info and advice guys.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was easy as pie to ride. Kinda fun to grab gears actually
See this is exactly what I was thinking. That it wouldn't be hard at all to ride. I remember having to reach my left arm down all the time to tinker with shit while I was riding, but all I see are posts from people who complain about how hard and dangerous and stupid it is to build and use something like this. Then when someone brings up how it could mean allowing a leg amputee to ride again these fucking morons all say the same thing. "JUST by a Spyder", " JUST buy an electronic shifter"...like we all have that kind of money?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"just make a shifter with a hand clutch". simples

That's just it, it might not be nearly as simple as just "build it". It might require a special way of !mounting it or linkage because of mid or forward controls that aren't found on sportbikes. Mid and forward controls are a different animal entirely. That's why I need advice and help on this. Its like asking how to build a subframe and someone replies with " just build a subframe" lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts