Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
That just happened
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who all runs a 8cell MOTY battery on there daily driver? I know Fathead did but he hasn't been around for a while. I found em online for a good price but I don't know jack about em. I've searched and found the A123 battery builds and whatnot but me and anything electrical above wiring a headlight really haven't always agreed with each other so me attempting to build one really isn't much of an option. So I'll drop the cash if it's worth it. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
To my understanding, they can give out a lot of juice at once, but have a lower capacity?
So if you have an older bike which has starting issues, it's not worth the hassle of having it charging constantly
(can't be charged with a regular charger as well).

Might be wrong here. Feel free to correct me. :confused:

·
That just happened
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I was wondering about that, I run a first gen SV so I didn't know if it could crank the V-Twin if it was a little low on a charge.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That just happened
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang guys...nothing? Ok then who uses a BOUGHT 123 cell battery? Any help is needed

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
They are a lithium phosphate batt. They do have the same cranking amps, but those amps will last half as long as a normal batt. The form of phosphate as opposed to polymer is ph is heavier, but will last a long time before replacement.. It is hard to solder such diy packs fast enough not to damage cells.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I live near where MOTY originated and know of/ sort of know who the guy that started it is.

A few years ago, we had a rash of them shitting out and/ or getting really hot in race and street bikes. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing about one catching on fire out of the bike on a charger. I'm not sure if it was due to the China- sourced cells or build quality or what. A few local shops won't carry them because of the problems and the lack of product insurance. I know the original owner/ founder sold MOTY a while back, so maybe the new fella has sorted things out?

Either way, Ballistic builds great batteries and that's what's in all my bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts