1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
******. I cant do shit on Saturdays

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
It's only a little over 5 hours away from me I'd defiantly say I would meet you up there but it's my daughters birthday so it's a no for me

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
If you don't ride 421 from Bristol, TN to Boone, NC you're stupid.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you don't ride 421 from Bristol, TN to Boone, NC you're stupid.
I hadn't planned a route at all. Just got the idea to go when I posted this thread. Route will depend on who's going, I suppose. If it ends up just me I might cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway down the whole way. Its literally at my back door. I'm still waiting to hear from my CB forum to see who else might be tagging along. I'm open to any route just so long as I make it to the mountain in the daylight.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
350 miles if I take the Parkway. Going through the backroads behind my house I'm about 3 miles from the Parkway. That is mile marker 106. Mount Mitchell is at mile marker 355. I can get about 126-135 miles to a tank (comfortably) without hitting reserve. So two gas stops will almost take me one way. But running 45 MPH ( parkway speed limit...ha) it would take roughly 6.5 hours one way. I might need a tent....

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm....weather report for Mount Mitchell on Saturday is 70% chance of rain. Not cool.

*edit* I checked the weather for Linville Falls (its between me and mount mitchell) and its the same 70% chance of rain. My local weather is saying the same thing. Gonna google and see where its gonna be clear this weekend. Might go there instead.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I've been doing some actual planning regarding this trip. As of now the plan is to leave home Friday after work and set up a tent at Willville Bike Camp in the Meadows of Dan area. Taking the Blue ridge Parkway down. The Parkway at my house is mile marker 106. Willville is mile 178~. Roughly two hours away.

So I'll leave here around 7-8 pm and head out there. A tent spot for a solo is $15.$22 for two-up.

http://www.willvillebikecamp.com

This gets me within 4-5 hours of Mount Mitchell via Parkway. But first thing in the am after leaving the camp I figured I'd go check out Mabry Mill. It's literally right next door at mile marker 176. Should make for a good place to get breakfast.

http://www.brptrails.com/brp1762.htm

Roughly one tank of fuel later I should be at Grandfather Mountain at mile post 305. I'd like to see the swinging bridge.

www.grandfather.com

At mile post 316 I'll stop and check out Linville Falls.Why not? I'll be right there...

www.ncwaterfalls.com/lin1.htm

Mount Mitchell is at mile 355. I'll see what time it is at this point and decide if I'll double back to Willville to camp again,or I might camp at Mount Mitchell and then hoof it back home on Sunday. Just have to play this part by ear. Maybe I'll skip one of the stops one the way up and leave it for something to do on the ride back. Or I might find something else along the way to look at. We'll see...

www.exploreasheville.com/things-to-do/hiking-trails/mount-mitchell/

Who's in?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts