Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Try Harder
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or.. don't suck. Kinda something I overlooked when I went to these shorty red filters. If you look at the mouth of your carbs, where the filters attach, you have air inlets, and venturis.

And I only noticed this when i took apart one of the filters. But on installing these, I was literally blocking the majority of air from getting directly into the ports. You can imagine what this does.. poor vacuum, poor fuel atomization. Hence bike instantly runs like crap.

The boot is less than an 1/8 inch away from the ports, and blocking most of them.

So to cure this I made a short runner out of the original boots from the airbox. Had to trim the bell end of it about 1/4" to get them into the filter boot. Sealed it with auto goop, and now i have pods that flow air like they should. Instantly noticed how much better it idled.
So if you have pods, or are thinking about using them, make sure you come up with some kind of runner or extension for them. So you dont have the same problems.

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
I often wonder if that is the more likely reason for the, "pods run badly", argument. Good idea on the smooth bore to the carb. BTW, the bike is looking fantastic and congrats on the FF trophies! :)

·
Try Harder
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I often wonder if that is the more likely reason for the, "pods run badly", argument. Good idea on the smooth bore to the carb. BTW, the bike is looking fantastic and congrats on the FF trophies! :)
Thanks Ben!
Yeah, I bet it's good percentage of why they get a neg rap. I showed my buddy this (77 GS 750 w pods) and he slapped his forehead.. Went down to the speed shop and picked up some silicone couplers for an inter cooler.. instantly made his bike run better too.

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
:thumbsup:

My moment of revelation came when I put velocity stacks on my CB360 with basic debris screens on them. Ran like a sewing machine and howled up top like nothing I have ridden before or since. At that point I was convinced that it had to have come from such a smooth airflow over the venturi/ports in the carb rather than pure volume of air entering at any given moment.

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
i followed dale's directions at holeshot to a T, Piester jetted my carbs for me (i mailed him the directions that dale sent out) and the pods made my bike a fucking animal, bike never lifted up in 2nd before the pods and the front got light in 3rd gear even.

I am not sure why pods give you such issues man.

·
Try Harder
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i followed dale's directions at holeshot to a T, Piester jetted my carbs for me (i mailed him the directions that dale sent out) and the pods made my bike a fucking animal, bike never lifted up in 2nd before the pods and the front got light in 3rd gear even.

I am not sure why pods give you such issues man.
They don't. I'm just too particular about putting dual pods on there that don't fit correctly. Those pods are spaced for first gen Bandit carbs, not 2nd. I told you that before. Hacks gonna hack.

And I was putting this up so others don't run into the same problem.

·
Try Harder
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also on oldschoolsuk they said that the bandits run awful with the individual pods and run better with those dual pod filters.
Great. So you did exactly what Dale said, but Piester actually did your work for you.. And Im glad you're the internet king of finding whatever anybody else has ever said about pods on a Bandit. Congrats. So you're here, in my thread, talkin like you know it all, but can't even do your own work. Offering no useful real world experience on anything. Thank you.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
Great. So you did exactly what Dale said, but Piester actually did your work for you.. And Im glad you're the internet king of finding whatever anybody else has ever said about pods on a Bandit. Congrats. So you're here, in my thread, talkin like you know it all, but can't even do your own work. Offering no useful real world experience on anything. Thank you.

yikes

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
You said that you were having problems with the firmament of the filters on the carbs, I did that part myself. yeah piester jetted the carbs for me because it was my only bike and i had no time for mistakes or learning errors. I wanted it done ASAP

They don't. I'm just too particular about putting dual pods on there that don't fit correctly. Those pods are spaced for first gen Bandit carbs, not 2nd. I told you that before. Hacks gonna hack.

And I was putting this up so others don't run into the same problem.

The carbs i was putting it on were bandit 2nd Gen carbs and they fit just fine, the filter clamped down and i had absolutely no problems. I also remember randy and rat fighter and sid vicious (guy from new jersey matt that made the honda fighter) saying that it works just fine. I also slightly remember al saying something but i could be wrong on that.

Yup, just sick of Mitchs condescending "Internet god" trollings.. Been watching em for years.

I was nowhere at all condescending or being an "internet god" or trolling once in here, I posted my real world findings and what others have said before me, No need to take shit out of me if its not working for you. I had absolutely no problems at all and the bike ran better then stock.

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
They don't. I'm just too particular about putting dual pods on there that don't fit correctly. Those pods are spaced for first gen Bandit carbs, not 2nd.

The duals don't fit a 2nd gen? I swear I've seen more of those filters on 2nd gen B12's than anything. What doesn't fit about them? Stretched rubber resulting in a slightly off shape to the flat end cap part of the filter setup?

From what I've read elsewhere (Max Zuki if I remember right) that the dual ovals needed to be slightly stretched to fit either model, it was just that they were the closest K&N part number that was plausible and there still isn't a complete solution for just the B12 itself. Probably never gonna be either seeing as something works well enough that people will run it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have a first gen bandit with the k&n oval pods and they slipped rite on after about 20 mins of bitching and cussing ...........then i remembered the most obvious thing silicone spray its amaizing how alcohol will turn you into a caveman for a short time lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
well there's actually pods and pods, decent foam pods and those with a rubber "top" like those k&n ones perform good
but those with the metal tops can fuck up your tune considerately, something about inlet pulses bouncing back in the carb (don't know first hand). I mainly use those big filter from pipercross witch you clamp on a aluminium baseplate with the stock rubbers from the airbox. on trackbikes you can have some issues with areas that are hotter than others so.

but in the end, if you dont have restrictions like with those rubber buggers above you can mount a fucking birds nest on there if you tune your shit correctly.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
i had some baller-ass UNI individual filter on my xs400, and i thought it ran pretty well. ive also seen some UNI duals for the zrx guys that look pretty badass. they have no end cap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts