Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Should work fine, had a little mini speedo on my '93 900RR and it worked well with the 16. ;)

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
It should work fine.

Most cable-driven speedos for Japanese bikes have a "2240:60" ratio, meaning that the cable turns 2240 times in a minute when the bike is traveling 60 MPH. (I imagine you may not see that notation as much in places that use kilometers.) Anything that claims to work for most or all motorcycles will have that ratio, even though older American and Euro bikes take different ratios entirely.

On the other end of the cable, the speedo drive at the wheel has to convert the wheel's motion into that correct 2240 turns at 60 MPH. That's where the difference in 16" and 17" wheels will be. The 16 will have a different drive ratio to turn the cable at the appropriate speed for the standard gauge ratio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It should work fine.

Most cable-driven speedos for Japanese bikes have a "2240:60" ratio, meaning that the cable turns 2240 times in a minute when the bike is traveling 60 MPH. (I imagine you may not see that notation as much in places that use kilometers.) Anything that claims to work for most or all motorcycles will have that ratio, even though older American and Euro bikes take different ratios entirely.

On the other end of the cable, the speedo drive at the wheel has to convert the wheel's motion into that correct 2240 turns at 60 MPH. That's where the difference in 16" and 17" wheels will be. The 16 will have a different drive ratio to turn the cable at the appropriate speed for the standard gauge ratio.
Not necessarily true, for example(from Bridgestone's website)

Bridgestone BATTLAX S20 130/70ZR16 is 590mm in diameter
BATTLAX S20 120/60ZR17 is 583mm OD
BATTLAX S20 120/70ZR17 is 602mm OD

difference between either of those 17" options and the 900RRs 16" tire is <1.5% or equivalent to being off by [email protected]

Just some FFT from a "newb"

Also disregard since I just dug up a "dead thread" My bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts