Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Former bike builder
1,240 Posts
Ahh, fair enough. I seem to recall there being a kit to put the EFI bits from a Hayabusa onto the older slabbys, but I could be wrong.

installing EFI is easy... But work to getting it tuned on all times and all conditions takes lot work and knowhow.. And dynotime. Factory EFIs are tuned by professionals and tested for years...

On your own you can't test say cold start values more then one time per day..
And next day it's 2 degree colder :oops: And then there is more parts that can be wrong.. Sensors and wires..

Carb tunes itself automaticly. On both everything needs to be working 100% before before there can be said that other is better...

On both systems plenum and manifold messes how evenly air flow to every cylinder. And if that is not even, then there can¨t be blamed carb to working incorrectly...

Both works, other is easier to some, other to some...

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Have you considered doing an EFI conversion, to properly rid yourself of those carb gremlins?
Did consider efi.But as Motohorho says lots of trouble to get working properly.A buddy of mine put a microsquirt on a 89 gsxr 750.Seen ALL the trouble to get it tuned.
Too much for my brain to deal with!!!!

·
10,698 Posts
missed this one, Dave said he was sending a kit to Canada, very nice, it was me who drew up the clutch cover logo for him, very good friend of mine

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
missed this one, Dave said he was sending a kit to Canada, very nice, it was me who drew up the clutch cover logo for him, very good friend of mine
Thanks Yantosh.Dave is a really helpful guy and its good to know you guys are friends.Didnt know it was you who drew the logo.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Long time no post here.Spoke to Dave about some of the issues cylinder scuffing etc.Found out from him that even tho mtc says 2 thou clearance for turbo is spec,should be between 3 to 4 thou.Got that sorted now.Hone done and sitting at 3 and half thou now.New rings are ordered and on there way.Got a wideband as well so making up a longer exhaust to fit it for tuning purposes.Horrible exchange rate at the moment so just doing a refurb job on a spare head I got till I can afford a full refurb on the leaky head.
Hoprfully get this stuff sorted on the 3 weeks Ive booked off in May.Back together and ripping soon I hope.Will follow up with pics in the next while.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Finally got some time and motivation to DW.Cylinder head refurbed with new stem seals and a valve lap,will have to do for now.

Cylinders honed to correct clearance so as to hopefully avoid scuffing issues I had last year.
New rings arrived so in the process of checking ring gaps too.

Aem wide band gauge arrived as well.Making up a temporary exhaust for tuning purposes as well.

Nothing too exciting but the bike sitting like this is starting to get on me nerves,got to get this shit done soon!!!!

That's all for now but hoping to get some real progress in the next day or two.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well shit back together now.Quick break in and straight to dyno this time.Wont bore you guys with engine build pics.Was paying too much attention during build to take pics anyway....SO dyno time has been and gone..Final outcome of this is as follows...222 hp and 130ft lbs of torque...not too shabby for an old oil boiler.Amazing to me as the engine is pretty much standard.Stock gix 11 head ,stock bandit cams,only thing modded is pistons and dyna ignition which is running stock curve albeit set to different final timing.Total boost is just over 10 psi,conservative for sure..Was thinking of doing the ported head ive got for this bike but clearly doesn't need it.Real happy with how this performs on the road so far.Fast is a good description...Same day dyno guy had a pretty much stock busa except pipe and power commander on it ONLY produced 160 hp so makes me happy with my 222...

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hi all long time no updates.Been running the bike all summer now.Had it out on the dragstrip for a couple of meetings.Bit rusty myself but best time so far is 10.1 with horrible sixty foot times so room for improvement for sure.No real issues so far but of course now winter is fast approaching.Time for some upgrades/changes.Been collecting some bits and pieces such as vortex top end oiler,billet carb tops,manual boost controller and two step rev controller.
Plan is to lower bike as well and get it more drag orientated,up boost for racing and generally have a riot this next season.Talking to Dave at FBM today and got some useful info on boost figures to go for and found out that the turbo ive got now is good for 280hp.As it stands now its putting out 222hp.Will need to run race fuel and retard timing etc for high boost when racing and then dial things back again for road use on pump piss.
Other plans are to improve breathing on motor too with extra breathers added as turbo motors like to breath.Tidy up on the wiring AGAIN as more shit has been added since last year.Possible air shifter or holeshot PS 3 electric shifter,undecided as of yet.
Anyways here a pic of some of the stuff.

Good to be back modding as that's what winter was made for!!!!:rock:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Bloody hell 5 years since any updates....been away doing various life changing events.Bikes been on backburner for alot of that time.Back at it now tho.
Visited the site last night for first time in months and well what can I say...big changes and not all good but I guess will just have to get used to it.
Anyway enough of that.Had a few changes since the last post back in 2015.....not much mind you.
Had to add can to exhaust as cops up here in Edmonton are a bit shitty with noise.. Fitted gsxr 1000 Gilles rearsets that I got for a steal of a deal.
Main change was added a head cooler as bike was always running a bit hot for my liking.Runs at a manageable temp now in any weather .
Plans for this winter is change to fuel injection....collecting parts now.Microsquirt is on its way as we speak.Got the gsxr 600 throttle bodies and am working on respacing them now.
Here are some pics and I hope to keep the thread updated now Im back into it.....

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Been in the garage again today.Checked cam timing with degree wheel and found 104 in and 104 ex.Stock timing figures for bandit 104 in 103 ex.Going to change these to be more turbo friendly. Thinking 108 in 110 ex.Will need to slot cam wheels tho.
Dropped sump as well to check oil strainer....maybe shouldn't have...found a bunch of crap in there...maybe shouldn't be surprised, 20 year old engine with 2 piston builds on it.
Making me wonder tho as when I had oil pressure gauge on it was definitely reading lower than I would like.Oil pump maybe sucked some of the debris....on the fence now if I strip motor and check....have spare block crank etc.Maybr run it a bit more and build spare....dunno..
Anyway couple of pics ,see what u guys think.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Did some more digging...pulled oil filter and cut open....and we have the bronze metallic particles caught there.So pull motor and see what we have .Hopefully caught this in time.
As speedtriple 1050 said bearings...not what I wanted to hear but is what it is..

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Had a productive day.Pulled motor and stripped it down to see whats going on.Not as bad as I thought for sure.Some wear on bearings but nothing severe at all.Nothing blatantly obvious as to what would have caused so much filings in oil!!
Inspection of oil pump revealed some scoring inside probably a good thing to have gone this far for sure.Looks like #3 piston has some oil control issues.Transmission looks good,no broken teeth or anything serious looking.Cam chain looks like it needs replaced.
Next thing will be cleaning ,measuring and ordering parts.....fun times.
While I'm in here will replace bandit rods with busa rods.
Anyway here some pics of today's strip down in no particular order.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts