Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
hack
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time messing with a wiring harness. got it mostly sorted out but have a couple stupid questions..
1. what to do with all the crap I dont need (side stand light, neutral switch, old speedo and tach wires). can I just bury them or do I need to maintain the circuit they came from??

2. neutral switch is the thing that wont let you start the bike in gear, right?

3. using acewell speedo. for power do I need a fuse, do I just run it straight to the battery, or is there a recommended circuit to pull power from?

Thanks in advance guys
-Cliff

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
You want the Acewell to turn on and off with the bike. I tapped into my headlight wiring so that any time my headlight is on, the gauge is on.

No start while in gear? I think you mean it won't run with the sidestand down and the bike in gear?

·
890 Posts
You need 2 powers for the Acewell - 1 that is always on (for the clock) and the other one that powers up with the ignition (as haelo has said). You should have these in your existing dash wiring. Got a wiring diagram?

·
hack
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a wiring diagram. just want to make sure I can just clip unnecessary wires. and I'm worried about burning out the unit by wiring straight to the battery (dont know if thats even an issue, like I said, new to this)

haelo, wont start with sidestand down while in gear or with side stand up, and clutch out (older jettas are the only thing I know of that you can start with the clutch out and actually in gear)

·
Fresh outta Fighter camp!
357 Posts
Your tach and speedo wires are only signal voltage, maybe .5V or so. Those you can dead end.

Your neutral switch and kick stand light might be wired into the "kill wire" circuit. Cant tell without a schematic.

·
hack
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, got it sorted out. now I'm working on the speedo magnet and sensor

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
I have a wiring diagram. just want to make sure I can just clip unnecessary wires. and I'm worried about burning out the unit by wiring straight to the battery (dont know if thats even an issue, like I said, new to this)

haelo, wont start with sidestand down while in gear or with side stand up, and clutch out (older jettas are the only thing I know of that you can start with the clutch out and actually in gear)
There are still some bikes that start with the clutch out, and cars a long long time ago did as well.

·
hack
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are still some bikes that start with the clutch out, and cars a long long time ago did as well.
I didnt know that,I wish all bikes and cars would. I had to drive my jetta home once with a broken clutch cable. it wasnt pretty, but it beats working on the side of the road

I got all the lights and gauge working, even turns over. light at the end of the tunnel :D now hopefully I didnt screw up the air intake *fingers crossed* just want it rideable by the meetup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts