Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is screwed. It's rubbing the housing and has stiff nasty spots all over. The bike also happens to be my DD, and I need a tire, like, yesterday, and I'm thinking that should probably take presidence. I've found name brand 114 link 520 chains used in good condition for around $20 bucks.... So, I'm thinking if that can get me back on the road for 6 months or so, it'd be the perfect ticket.

Has anyone done this? Completely stupid?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Mine is screwed. It's rubbing the housing and has stiff nasty spots all over. The bike also happens to be my DD, and I need a tire, like, yesterday, and I'm thinking that should probably take presidence. I've found name brand 114 link 520 chains used in good condition for around $20 bucks.... So, I'm thinking if that can get me back on the road for 6 months or so, it'd be the perfect ticket.

Has anyone done this? Completely stupid?
I do it all the time. Just look it over and make sure u use the right master link.

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you get them? I'm just looking on ebay, but I'm new to all of this. I'm guessing any 520/114 chain will work? Anything I should look for?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Where do you get them? I'm just looking on ebay, but I'm new to all of this. I'm guessing any 520/114 chain will work? Anything I should look for?
I get them local so I can see them for myself. I got a guy ;)

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give you 20 bucks for one! :truestory:

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I'll give you 20 bucks for one! :truestory:
I'll see if he's got one when there next. I have one but it's going on my drz so u can't have it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sorry to interject here, but you say you do it all the time? i could see in a pinch, but doesn't the chain and sprockets sorta wear into each other. mixing and matching doesn't throw something off?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
sorry to interject here, but you say you do it all the time? i could see in a pinch, but doesn't the chain and sprockets sorta wear into each other. mixing and matching doesn't throw something off?
Uhhh no.... if I'm changing chains with every time I'm dicking with my gearing I'd be spending all my build money on chains and sprockets. Just don't let one or the other get too worn down or it will fuck up the other but as long both are healthy, no problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
haha i take it you stunt a lot? still getting to know everyone here again. but i was just curious about it. my chain, while the seals and pivot points seem ok, is rusted to hell and back. i'm gonna get around to putting a new set on, maybe even go up a tooth (idk still a rook when it comes to riding street), but for now since the sprockets are relatively new i was considering trying find a cheap chain replacement until i get everything else on it worked out.

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My front sprocket is brand new and the rear looks good, that's another reason I'm not too worried about going used. Along with the fact that my bike isn't really a power house by any means. I think sitting for the first 5 years of its life just killed the chain. It's an 09 and had 5K miles when I got it 4 months ago, now it has 12K.

G

·
I think i'll try & get mike on here & let him tell you the story of how he lost 30% of his left calf muscle & now 10 years on he can still only walk with the use of a stick

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I thought. I just don't see how the chain having miles on it, but being fully functional matters whether it's on the bike it originally came on or on a different bike.

G

·
From installing a used chain?
From installing a used DID chain that "looked good" on sprockets that "looked good" & all installed & adjusted properly

Mike was a professional bike mechanic who should have known better (his words) now he's fat forty & fooked (again his words)

He's got a chunk of his leg missing leaving a hole i can get my fist in & his mrs who was on the back bust her pelvis in 2 places & can never have kids, again in his words "all cos i was a tight bastard who wouldnt spend a measly 50 quid"

Make your choice & live with it guys ;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't really see the harm in using a used chain, especially for stunting or a lower powered bike. Just wiggle the chain side to side and see how much slop is in the links. My general rule is if you pinch two adjacent links, and push/pull them together and can feel any play, the chain is shot. If it's an o-ring, look for cracked/bulged/missing rings. If it's dirty and totally crusted in shit, it's probably not very good either.

Typically though, most used chains I see for sale are junk. Someone swapped on a new one and wants to get a few bucks out of their old one.

A chain and sprockets do "wear together" to some extent but it's by no means critical they be kept together. Putting a brand new chain on old pointy sprockets will definitely wear out the chain faster, and vice versa. But as long as both are relatively fresh, and of the same type, you should be fine.

I have about 16k on the EK 525 x-ring and Supersprox gears on my Z, which were changed at the same time. They get a spritz of dupont teflon lube every few hundred miles and a cleaning when it looks dirty. I haven't had to adjust it in probably the last 10k miles, the sprocket teeth look absolutely brand new, and the chain is tight as the day I put it on.

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Now he's fat forty & fooked
Happens to the best of us. :D

But i've got to say, it just sounds like he had bad luck or the chain really was pretty fooked. Might as well bring on a friend that bust his leg in a normal crash as say: "See what can happen if you ride bikes."

I'd consider a used chain if i was flat broke and needed the bike to get to work or something. I recently sent a used chain to a member on here, mainly because his chain was fooked and there was a chance he might be tempted to still use it. I don't have much fear of the chain going wrong for him.

BUT i would always try and get a new chain, for a bit extra it's just peace of mind and longevity, and there are cheaper alternatives than the top-end super expensive ones, and not much more than you'd end up paying for used i'd expect.

theSLEEPER: stay away from clip-type links, they're just crap. Rivet it. Are you sure it's 520 sprockets you have? A quick look online, it seems to be right, just thought i would check.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
theSLEEPER: stay away from clip-type links, they're just crap. Rivet it. Are you sure it's 520 sprockets you have? A quick look online, it seems to be right, just thought i would check.
+1, try getting a rivet type if u could. But I use clip type on the drz so I can swap wheels with different gearing quick and the bike puts out like 27hp. But sport bikes, rivets all the way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts