Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Numbnuts previous owner stripped the drain plug on my Bandit. I'm looking for a new pan. Let me know what you've got.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Any chance you can drill and install a timesert or helicoil?

Later, Doug

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
Thread repairs on the oil pan of a Bandit would be tricky to say the least (the aluminum is only about 1/4" thick at the drain plug), might be best off either getting a new fitting welded in with more threading, or, hit up ebay for a new oil pan.

I was looking for a spare pan for ages now and still thinking I may as well just get some shit welded up and fix the stuff that needs it before I go spending $70+ on a used part that may or may not need the same amount of time and effort put into it.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Numbnuts previous owner stripped the drain plug on my Bandit. I'm looking for a new pan. Let me know what you've got.
Any chance you can drill and install a timesert or helicoil?

Later, Doug
Timesert would probably work, but it'll cost as much as a new pan at least.

Generic self tapping plugs from parts unlimited
Tried that. Went M14-1.5 single oversize and it wouldn't go in straight. Several attempts.

Thread repairs on the oil pan of a Bandit would be tricky to say the least (the aluminum is only about 1/4" thick at the drain plug), might be best off either getting a new fitting welded in with more threading, or, hit up ebay for a new oil pan.

I was looking for a spare pan for ages now and still thinking I may as well just get some shit welded up and fix the stuff that needs it before I go spending $70+ on a used part that may or may not need the same amount of time and effort put into it.
Getting a threaded bung welded in is probably the best repair for these pans. However, this is my only bike and I want to get back on the road sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Second option is to pull the pan, clean it, and JB weld the piggyback plug I have in. Thoughts on that? It's not under pressure, but how good is the seal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts