Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, after doing a couple of builds here and there i started to desire something a little more different to what i had done in the past. i wanted to take a bike from one category and bring it to the next so i have my eye out for something in either a cruiser or dirt to make in to a cafe racer.
I ended up deciding on going with a dirt bike keen to do a big bore single, having a catalog of parts sitting around the shed i was hoping to use as much on-hand bits as i could.

On my usual walk abouts on ebay i happen to come across an 85 xr600 with a start bid of $750 and about 40 minutes away, being a little over exited i put the starting bid on with out consulting the the better half.
being that time of year with xmas just around the corner and a holiday weeks away i had to set a low budget of 800 for the bike. not long after i placed my bid someone had out bid my maximum and i had to forget about it until i had a bigger budget for something else.

2 days after the auction ended i got a message from the seller telling me the winning bidder had not got in contact with him and it was still for sale. after calling him and working out a deal i ended up getting the bike for $650 but he kept the tank and side covers, i was over joyed this build was meant to happen this bike was sick of pottering around the paddock and wanted to see the open road.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Sweet bike can't wait to see it cafed

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
couldn't help but have a play with my new toy this week, first thing's first a bit of mock up to see how im going to go abouts this build. OK so I've got a front end from a hyosung gt650 that i did a 05 zx6 conversion on I've got sitting around, also i have the rear shock to mach and a cbr600 f3 rear wheel im keen to use.

front end is easy, just got to get my mate to mill the bottom tree a little bit, turn down the xr stem and press it in to the hyosung tree with maybe a little bit of spacing here and there.

the hyosung rear shock was a direct replacement the top and bottom fit just like the xr one did, the bad part is that it made the rear end too low so i need to make up a new shorter part of the linkage to make up for it.

found a write up about a cbr600 f3 wheel conversion got to get the crush hub milled down a bit and some other changes. going to change out the swing arm for a 01 xr650 one, i need it to run the disc brakes. all xr600/650 arms will bolt straight in but i found that the 650 arm looks a much higher quality item.

giving the carbs a good clean out by boiling them in a water/vinegar mix to help free up 28 years of crap and setting the floats, the main float was out by about 2.5 mm.

everything is in its mockup stage.
i'll get back to you with some more updates soon.:sven:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I'd stick with spoked wheels if you can if you were just doing a sumo conversion it'd be 1 thing but to keep more cafeish I'd run spoked. Just my .02

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would love to put some tard rims on it and i do have a set for my ktm i could put on, but i would have to add the cost of the tard rims into the project cost and i'm going to try keep it as budget as i can.
speaking of budget im thinking of selling to fighter some time next year and makeing the xr my daily rider, i've got a 05 zx6 front end on the fighter and im sure in not going to get any more for it with or with out the good bits so i think i'll be swapping the front ends and having the smick stuff on the xr.
started to make some phat headers with some bits i had sitting around, dont up me about my sh#@ty welds i'll clean them up later. :p tacked them up on the bike then bolted them to an old triple to try stop them from moving too much when i weld.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you got to love a bit of mock up, i think i like it just as much as the build. not the tank or seat im using on this build but it makes ya feel good seeing it looking like a bike.:shocker:

finished the headers up, looks like i'll be getting much more flow than stock. got the swing arm today, only took 7days to get here in Australia from the US god bless America. it fit like a glove so i slapped a tire on the rim and spaced the rim just for a bit of mock. i will have to wait till early next year to start playing with the crush hub.

i started toying with the idea for using the stock air box, i think it would back it look more complete and i wouldnt have to worry about the pods getting wet.

get ready to fap.....:sven:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Mock up looks great cafe xr so badass

1 - 20 of 104 Posts